Travel English: Catching a Bus 2: So you are going abroad and will be taking a bus to travel in the city. Are you worried about how you will communicate? In this lesson we will learn the phrases and words that will tell us how we can talk to people about traveling in a bus.
At the Bus Stop
Sam: Excuse me, I need some information.
Max: Sure. What is it?
Sam: Could you tell me when the next bus to Parkington Lane will be here?
Max: It’ll be here in ten minutes. You seem to be in a hurry.
Sam: Yeah, I have an interview. Are you sure it will be on time?
Max: Yup. It never gets late.
Sam: I’m counting on it.
Max: Good luck on the interview, man.
Paying for a Ticket
James: Good morning! Which stop?
Sam: Parkington Lane.
James: That would be 50 cents.
Sam: Sure. Would you have change for 10 dollars?
James: Are you sure you don’t have anything less than that?
Sam: Hmm..let me check. Oh, here you go. I have a buck.
James: That’s much better, thank you.
Sam: You’re welcome.
Asking the Bus Driver to Help You Out
Sam: Excuse me. Could you give me some information, please?
James: Yes, sure. What do you need to know?
Sam: Well, I’ve never been to Parkington Lane before. Can you tell me when we get there?
James: Okay. No problem.
Sam: How far is it?
James: Four stops from here.
Sam: How long will it take?
James: About twenty minutes.
Sam: Okay, thanks.
Talking to a Co-passenger
Mark: Hey man, you look nervous. Is everything all right?
Sam: It’s just that I have an interview.You see…It’s an interview with my dream company.
Mark: Just calm down. I’m sure you’ll be just fine.
Sam: I hope so. Where are you going to?
Mark: I work on Wall Street.
Sam: Oh! My interview is with Lehmann Associates.
Mark: Well, that’s where I work. What’s your name?
Sam: Sam Worthington.
Mark: I guess you have an interview with Mark Mason then, am I right?
Sam: Yes, that’s right! How could you possibly know that?
Mark: Simply because I am Mark Mason!
Excuse me, I need some information.
Could you tell me when the next bus to Parkington Lane will be here?
Are you sure it will be on time?
Would you have change for 10 dollars?
Could you give me some information, please?
Can you tell me when we get there?
How far is it? How long will it take?
Where are you going to?
Catching : Catching means to capture or to seize.
Interview : An interview is a meeting of people face to face, especially for consultation.
Information : To have an information means facts provided or learned about someone or something.
Hurry : Hurry means to move or act in haste (rush).
Stop : Stop is used for something that comes to an end, such as an event, action or process.
Buck : You can use the term a buck, when you want to pay a dollar.
Bus Driver : Bus Driver is a person who drives the bus.
Co-passenger : Co-passenger is a person who is travelling along with you, mostly on the same route, such as passengers in a bus, train, etc.
Dream Company : The term dream company is used for a company where you strongly wish to work.
TwoMinute Travel English lessons
- 2min English: Plans for the weekend
- 2min English: Going for a Picnic
- 2min English: At the airport 2
- 2min English: At the Travel Agency
- 2min English: When You’re Pulled Over
- 2min English: At a Hotel – Ordering Room Service
- 2min English: Moving To a Different City
- 2min English: Talking About your vacation
- 2min English: Catching a Bus
- 2min English: On the Airplane
More TwoMinute English lessons
- 2min English: Going somewhere… Taxi; Directions
- 2min English: Use of… Very, Too; May (not); Can(‘t); The
- 2min English: At the… Supermarket; Grocery Store; Stationery shop; Bookstore
- 2min English: Talking about… Family; Weather; Song; Cellphone
- 2min English: Shopping for… TV; Clothes; Shoes
- 2min English: Vacation… Hotel; Apartment
- 2min English: Greeting, introducing
- 2min English: At the… Airport; Train Station; Bank
- 2min English: Like; Dislike; Sorry
- 2min English: Inviting people… Events; Movies; Hiking trip; Taking a break
Series for you
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: My Australia
Source: YouTubeMore Series for You: