Travel English: Going on a hiking trip: Ready to go hiking? In this video you will learn words and phrases that you can use when you go on a hiking trip. Build up your vocabulary and repeat the phrases after the speakers. Keep practicing and watching the videos on Two Minute English to improve your conversation skills.
Joining a hiking trip
Caroline : Hey David! I am going hiking at the state park this weekend. Do you want to join me?
David : I love hiking. How long is the trail?
Caroline : It’s about 3 miles long.
David : I may come. I have to buy new hiking shoes.
Caroline : You better have good shoes. It’s a tough hike.
David : It’ll be great! I like tough hikes!
Hiking and fitness
Steve : How do you stay in shape?
Caroline : I go hiking regularly.
Steve : Really? How does that help you stay fit?
Caroline : It keeps my legs in shape from climbing and my heart healthy from long walking.
Steve : I should try that out. Can I come with you next time?
Caroline : I’ve got a trip planned next week. You can come if you want.
Steve : I’d love to join you.
Buying hiking supplies
Steve : How may I help you?
David : I am going on a hiking trip next month and want to buy supplies.
Steve : Do you have any supplies at all or need everything?
David : I have hiking boots, ropes and some basic camping supplies.
Steve : That’s a good start. You may want to also buy some maps, a compass, thick socks and a harness.
David : Thank you for your help. I want to buy all of those items.
After the hike
David : Wow! That was a tough hike.
Caroline : Yes, it took us over 7 hours.
David : But we made it without any injuries or problems.
Caroline : Yes, it was a great hike.
David : And I didn’t lose any of our equipment.
Caroline : You were really careful on this trip David.
I am going hiking at the state park this weekend.
You better have good shoes. It’s a tough hike.
I go hiking regularly.
It keeps my legs in shape from climbing and my heart healthy from long walking.
I have hiking boots, ropes and some basic camping supplies.
Hiking : Hiking means to walk for a long distance, especially across country or in the woods.
Trip : A trip is a journey or excursion, especially for pleasure.
Trial : Trials are a series of contests that test a competitor’s skill and ability.
Hiking Shoes : Hiking boots are shoes specially designed for the sport of hiking.
Tough : If something is tough then it means it is very hard.
Climbing : To climb is the sport or activity of climbing mountains and cliffs.
Healthy : Healthy means to feel absolutely fit and fine.
Supply : To make something needed or wanted available to someone.
Map : A map is a diagrammatic representation of an area of land or sea showing physical features.
Compass : A compass is an instrument containing a magnetised pointer, helpful in giving directions.
Harness : A harness is a set of straps and fittings by which animals are fastened to cart and is controlled by its driver.
Injury : An injury is a fact of being harmed or damaged.
Equipment : Equipments are the necessary items required for particular purpose such as a kit, apparatus, gear, etc.
TwoMinute Travel English lessons
- 2min English: On the Airplane
- 2min English: At the airport 2
- 2min English: Planning a Weekend Getaway
- 2min English: Talking About Public Transportation
- 2min English: Talking About Your Car Problems
- 2min English: Plans for the weekend
- 2min English: At the train station
- 2min English: Visiting a Museum
- 2min English: When You’re Pulled Over
- 2min English: Going for a Picnic
More TwoMinute English lessons
- 2min English: At a… Hospital; Restaurant; Gym
- 2min English: Ordering… Pizza; Coffee; Things online
- 2min English: At the… Airport; Train Station; Bank
- 2min English: Use of… Very, Too; May (not); Can(‘t); The
- 2min English: At the… Supermarket; Grocery Store; Stationery shop; Bookstore
- 2min English: Greeting, introducing
- 2min English: Vacation… Hotel; Apartment
- 2min English: Talking about… Family; Weather; Song; Cellphone
- 2min English: Making… Appointment; Excuses; Hunting for a job
- 2min English: Like; Dislike; Sorry
Series for you
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: My Australia
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: The History of English
Source: YouTubeMore Series for You: