Travel English: Talking About Public Transportation: Most of us use the public transportation system every day to commute from one place to another. On some days it may be easy, but sometimes we face problems. Public transport is a favorite topic of discussion, too. For example, you might need to ask how to get somewhere, or tell somebody how your trip was.
Need a Bus to Las Vegas?
Tyra : John, I need some advice.
John : Sure Tyra. What is it?
Tyra : I need to go to Las Vegas for a conference. Can you tell me if I can get a bus?
John : A conference in Vegas? That sounds awesome!
Well, you can easily find a bus from the interstate.Tyra : Any idea when the bus leaves?
John : I’ve used it once. I think it leaves at 7.30 AM. But do check. Maybe you can call them.
Tyra : Hmm…Yeah. I will call them and find out.
A Subway Ride.
Winnie : Alright, so it’s decided. I’ll see you at 6.30 at the Central Station.
John : I’ll be there Winnie, but can’t we make it a bit later? What about 7?
Winnie : I’ll be taking the 6PM subway train so I’ll get there by 6.30. But no problems, I’ll hang around.
John : Why don’t you take a bus instead?
Winnie : I don’t like traveling on buses, John. The subway is faster and safer.
John : You’re right about that.
Do I Need to Change Buses?
Tyra : I need to get to Westport St. this evening. Does a bus go there from Newtown?
Winnie : Well, I don’t think so. It’s a small street at the other end of town. I think you’ll need to change at Westbanks.
Tyra : Change the bus? That’s going to take me so much time. Isn’t there a better way?
Winnie : You could always go by car, or take the subway.
Tyra : Is there a subway stop at Westport?
Winnie : No, but there’s one at Westbanks and you can get a bus from there.
Which Train Should I Take?
John : Excuse me. I need to go to Rock street. Can you tell me which train to take?
Terry : Rock Street? Isn’t that near Smith’s Walk?
John : Yes, that’s right. Smith’s Walk is right nearby.
Terry : Take the Green line, and get down at Browning Street. From there take a cab.
John : How far is it from Browning Street?
Terry : About 2 KMs I think. You could walk too.
John : The weather is nice today. I might walk. Thank you for your help.
Terry : No problem. It’s a pleasure to be of help.
Can you tell me if I can get a bus?
Any idea when the bus leaves?
I’ll be taking the 6PM subway train so I’ll get there by 6.30.
Why don’t you take a bus instead?
I don’t like traveling on buses, John. The subway is faster and safer.
Does a bus go there from Newtown?
Is there a subway stop at Westport?
Excuse me. I need to go to Rock street. Can you tell me which train to take?
Commuting : Commuting is a regular journey of some distance to and from one’s place of work.
Public transportation : Buses, trains, subways and other forms of transportation that charge set fares, run on fixed routes and are available to the public.
Advice : To advice means give guidance or recommendations concerning prudent future actions, typically given by someone regarded as knowledgeable.
Conference : Conference is a formal meeting for discussion.
Interstate : Interstate means existing or carried on between states.
Idea : An idea is a thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action.
Check : To check means to examine something in order to determine its accuracy, quality or condition.
Decided : To decide means to have a clear opinion about something.
Subway : A subway is a tunnel under a road for use by pedestrians.
Ride : To ride means to sit on and control the movement of an animal, especially a horse.
Instead : We use instead when we mean to say as an alternative or substitute.
Travelling : Travelling means to make a journey, typically of some length or abroad.
Weather : Weather is the state of the atmosphere at a place and time as regards heat, cloudiness, dryness.
Pleasure : Pleasure is a feeling of happy satisfaction and enjoyment.
TwoMinute Travel English lessons
- 2min English: Visiting a Museum
- 2min English: Moving To a Different City
- 2min English: Talking About Public Transportation
- 2min English: Catching a Bus
- 2min English: Talking About Your Car Problems
- 2min English: Planning a vacation
- 2min English: On the Airplane
- 2min English: When You’re Pulled Over
- 2min English: At the airport 2
- 2min English: At the Travel Agency
More TwoMinute English lessons
- 2min English: Describing… People; Things
- 2min English: Use of… Very, Too; May (not); Can(‘t); The
- 2min English: Ordering… Pizza; Coffee; Things online
- 2min English: Vacation… Hotel; Apartment
- 2min English: Shopping for… TV; Clothes; Shoes
- 2min English: At the… Airport; Train Station; Bank
- 2min English: Going somewhere… Taxi; Directions
- 2min English: Inviting people… Events; Movies; Hiking trip; Taking a break
- 2min English: At the… Supermarket; Grocery Store; Stationery shop; Bookstore
- 2min English: Talking about… Family; Weather; Song; Cellphone
Series for you
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: The History of English
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
Source: YouTubeMore Series for You: