Travel English: When You’re Pulled Over: In this lesson we will learn vocabulary used when you’re pulled over by the police for a traffic violation. This can happen to any of us if we are not careful. The right thing to do in this situation is to be polite and co-operative. The worst you can get this way is a ticket!
Getting a Speeding Ticket
Max: Good afternoon.
Joe: Good afternoon, sir. What seems to be the problem?
Max: Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?
Joe: Err…I guess so…was I speeding?
Max: Yes, you were doing 50 miles per hour in a 20-mile per hour zone.
Joe: Yes, sir. I’m very late for an important meeting.
Max: Your license and registration, please.
Joe: Certainly. Here you are.
Max: Mr. Andrews, your license expired six months ago. Is the address correct?
Joe: Yes, sir. I’ve been traveling a lot on business and haven’t had time to renew it.
Max: Well, Mr. Andrews, I’ll only give you a ticket for speeding, but make sure you take care of that expired license.
Joe: Of course. I’ll take care of it this week…
Not Stopping at the Stop Sign
Paula: Good morning. May I see your driver’s license please? And your registration.
Diana: Did I do anything wrong, officer?
Paula: You did not stop completely at the stop sign back there, Ma’am.
Diana: But I’m in such a hurry! I really need to get to the hospital as soon as possible!
Paula: What happened?
Diana: My son’s had an accident! They called from school and told me he was taken to the hospital!
Paula: All right, Ma’am. I’m escorting you to the hospital. Follow me. Here are your license and registration.
Diana: Thank you very much, officer. Please, let’s go.
Paula: He’ll be Ok, Ma’am. You just follow me and drive carefully.
A Warning for an Expired License
Paula: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Tony: No. I have no idea.
Paula: One of your taillights is broken. Can I see your license and registration, please?
Tony: A broken taillight? I just picked the car up from the mechanic!
Paula: Well, you should go back and have him fix it.
Tony: Thanks for letting me know.
Paula: Mr. Bruck, your driver’s license is expired…
Tony: Excuse me? When?
Paula: It expired one month ago.
Tony: Oh, no! What will happen now?
Paula: Well, I’m letting you go with a warning this time, but make sure you renew your license today.
You were doing 50 miles per hour in a 20-mile per hour zone.
Your license expired six months ago. Is the address correct?
I’ve been traveling a lot on business and haven’t had time to renew it.
One of your taillights is broken. Can I see your license and registration, please?
You did not stop completely at the stop sign back there, Ma’am.
All right, Ma’am. I’m escorting you to the hospital. Follow me. Here are your license and registration.
Your driver’s license is expired…
I’m letting you go with a warning this time, but make sure you renew your license today.
TwoMinute Travel English lessons
- 2min English: Plans for the weekend
- 2min English: At the Travel Agency
- 2min English: When You’re Pulled Over
- 2min English: On the Airplane
- 2min English: Planning a Weekend Getaway
- 2min English: At the train station
- 2min English: Talking About Public Transportation
- 2min English: Asking for directions
- 2min English: Going on a hiking trip
- 2min English: Talking About your vacation
More TwoMinute English lessons
- 2min English: Going somewhere… Taxi; Directions
- 2min English: At the… Airport; Train Station; Bank
- 2min English: Use of… Very, Too; May (not); Can(‘t); The
- 2min English: Vacation… Hotel; Apartment
- 2min English: Talking about… Family; Weather; Song; Cellphone
- 2min English: Shopping for… TV; Clothes; Shoes
- 2min English: Describing… People; Things
- 2min English: Inviting people… Events; Movies; Hiking trip; Taking a break
- 2min English: At the… Supermarket; Grocery Store; Stationery shop; Bookstore
- 2min English: Ordering… Pizza; Coffee; Things online
Series for you
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
Source: YouTubeMore Series for You: