Today we’ll look at a very important area of vocabulary: the difference between adjectives and adverbs.
Adjectives are words that describe nouns.
scruffy – not neat or clean. Example: He’s wearing a scruffy old t-shirt.
casual – informal and comfortable. Example: I like to wear casual clothes when I’m relaxing at home.
smart – neat and stylish. Example: Stuart looks very smart in his new shirt and tie.
formal – serious, important clothes for special events, for example, weddings. Example: You must wear a formal suit for the interview.
fashionable – new and popular. Example: Stripy trousers were fashionable a few years ago.
Adverbs are words that describe verbs.
scruffily – He dressed scruffily in an old t-shirt.
casually – I dress casually when I relax at home.
smartly – Dave’s smartly dressed today in a new shirt and tie.
formally – Everyone will dress formally at the wedding.
fashionably – Sarah was fashionably dressed in a blue coat.
6 Minute Vocabulary: Adjectives and adverbs Transcript Video
More BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Phrasal verbs and context
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Re- pre- and pro-
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Silent letters
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: honk, buzz, bleep…
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Multi-word verbs
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: -ic and -ical
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Strong adjectives
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Male and female job words
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: New words
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Weather words
More BBC 6 Minute English
- 6 Minute English – Giving away your fortune
- 6 Minute English ’14 – When does adulthood start?
- 6 Minute English ’11 – Witches
- 6 Minute English – How would you like to pay?
- 6 Minute English ’14 – Glass half full
- 6 Minute English – How do you like your tea?
- 6 Minute Business English ’13 – Arranging meetings
- 6 Minute English – The commute
- 6 Minute Business English ’14 – Misunderstandings
- 6 Minute English – Are we afraid of food?
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: My Australia
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: