Finn and Catherine give you some tips which can help you to remember new words. In 6 Minute Vocabulary, you’ll hear about a useful way of grouping words and learn a fun game to help you remember them.
A lexical set is a group of words that share the same topic or theme and belong to the same part of speech – they are all nouns, all verbs, all adjectives (for example).
Lexical sets are a useful way to organise vocabulary, making it easier to learn. When reading texts from different sources, it is a good idea to try to find groups of words that are related to the same topic and that belong to the same part of speech.
6 Minute Vocabulary: Lexical sets Transcript Video
rainfall – water that falls as rain over a period of time
water level – the height of water in rivers and lakes
burst its banks – we say this when the water level of a river gets so high that the water overflows its sides and floods the local area
flooded – full of water, usually from coming from rainfall
soaked – covered in water
waterlogged – when something is so full of water it cannot hold any more
More BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Phrasal verbs and context
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Re- pre- and pro-
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Silent letters
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: honk, buzz, bleep…
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Multi-word verbs
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: -ic and -ical
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Strong adjectives
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Male and female job words
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: New words
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Weather words
More BBC 6 Minute English
- 6 Minute English – Giving away your fortune
- 6 Minute English ’14 – When does adulthood start?
- 6 Minute English ’11 – Witches
- 6 Minute English – How would you like to pay?
- 6 Minute English ’14 – Glass half full
- 6 Minute English – How do you like your tea?
- 6 Minute Business English ’13 – Arranging meetings
- 6 Minute English – The commute
- 6 Minute Business English ’14 – Misunderstandings
- 6 Minute English – Are we afraid of food?
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: