Today we’re looking at a very important part of word building – suffixes. We’ll look at what they are, what they mean and how to use them.
Creates a noun meaning ‘person who receives an action’.
Example words: interviewee, trainee, employee, refugee, absentee
Example sentence: My company has six thousand employees.
Creates an adjective meaning that the subject can do something OR that something can be done to it.
Example words: excitable, employable, pleasurable, enjoyable, loveable, readable, breakable, moveable
Example sentence: I didn’t like his last book – it wasn’t very readable.
A different spelling of -able.
Example words: responsible, visible, horrible, terrible
Example sentence: Stars are only visible at night.
Creates a noun which describes a quality or state.
Example words: happiness, nervousness, politeness, sadness, sickness, kindness, meaninglessness
Example sentence: He missed two days of work because of sickness.
6 Minute Vocabulary: Suffixes Transcript Video
More BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Phrasal verbs and context
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Re- pre- and pro-
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Silent letters
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: honk, buzz, bleep…
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Multi-word verbs
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: -ic and -ical
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Strong adjectives
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Male and female job words
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: New words
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Weather words
More BBC 6 Minute English
- 6 Minute English – Giving away your fortune
- 6 Minute English ’14 – When does adulthood start?
- 6 Minute English ’11 – Witches
- 6 Minute English – How would you like to pay?
- 6 Minute English ’14 – Glass half full
- 6 Minute English – How do you like your tea?
- 6 Minute Business English ’13 – Arranging meetings
- 6 Minute English – The commute
- 6 Minute Business English ’14 – Misunderstandings
- 6 Minute English – Are we afraid of food?
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: