In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with bees.
1. Busy as a bee
2. The bee’s knees
3. To have a bee in your bonnet
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today these bees and I are getting together to teach you a thing or two about English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a bee before!
Look at them all working away: busy, buzzy bees.
Busy, buzzy, buzzy, buzzy, buzzy……buzz buzz.
In English, if someone is very busy or is moving around quickly doing lots of things we can say they’re busy as a bee.
Busy as a bee.
Now, what else do we know about bees?
Hmm, my favourite – runny honey. I love honey. In fact, I think it’s the bee’s knees!
Now I know what you’re thinking “What are you talking about you silly man? The bee’s knees?”
In English, if we think that something is excellent, or of the very highest quality, we can say it’s the bee’s knees.
The bee’s knees.
Like my lessons – they’re the bee’s knees.
Now, they may make yummy, runny honey, but never forget that bees have a nasty side.
So you wouldn’t want one to fly up here into your hat – or bonnet as we call this old fashioned ladies’ hat.
So, how would you feel if you had a bee in your bonnet? Extremely worried.
In English, if someone is very worried or concerned about something and they talk about it all the time, we can say they’ve got a bee in their bonnet.
To have a bee in your bonnet.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
More from the BBC
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: