In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with bees.
1. Busy as a bee
2. The bee’s knees
3. To have a bee in your bonnet
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today these bees and I are getting together to teach you a thing or two about English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a bee before!
Look at them all working away: busy, buzzy bees.
Busy, buzzy, buzzy, buzzy, buzzy……buzz buzz.
In English, if someone is very busy or is moving around quickly doing lots of things we can say they’re busy as a bee.
Busy as a bee.
Now, what else do we know about bees?
Hmm, my favourite – runny honey. I love honey. In fact, I think it’s the bee’s knees!
Now I know what you’re thinking “What are you talking about you silly man? The bee’s knees?”
In English, if we think that something is excellent, or of the very highest quality, we can say it’s the bee’s knees.
The bee’s knees.
Like my lessons – they’re the bee’s knees.
Now, they may make yummy, runny honey, but never forget that bees have a nasty side.
So you wouldn’t want one to fly up here into your hat – or bonnet as we call this old fashioned ladies’ hat.
So, how would you feel if you had a bee in your bonnet? Extremely worried.
In English, if someone is very worried or concerned about something and they talk about it all the time, we can say they’ve got a bee in their bonnet.
To have a bee in your bonnet.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: