In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with bees.
1. Busy as a bee
2. The bee’s knees
3. To have a bee in your bonnet
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today these bees and I are getting together to teach you a thing or two about English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a bee before!
Look at them all working away: busy, buzzy bees.
Busy, buzzy, buzzy, buzzy, buzzy……buzz buzz.
In English, if someone is very busy or is moving around quickly doing lots of things we can say they’re busy as a bee.
Busy as a bee.
Now, what else do we know about bees?
Hmm, my favourite – runny honey. I love honey. In fact, I think it’s the bee’s knees!
Now I know what you’re thinking “What are you talking about you silly man? The bee’s knees?”
In English, if we think that something is excellent, or of the very highest quality, we can say it’s the bee’s knees.
The bee’s knees.
Like my lessons – they’re the bee’s knees.
Now, they may make yummy, runny honey, but never forget that bees have a nasty side.
So you wouldn’t want one to fly up here into your hat – or bonnet as we call this old fashioned ladies’ hat.
So, how would you feel if you had a bee in your bonnet? Extremely worried.
In English, if someone is very worried or concerned about something and they talk about it all the time, we can say they’ve got a bee in their bonnet.
To have a bee in your bonnet.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: