In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with birds.
2. To have a bird’s eye view
3. A little bird told me
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today I’m getting together with some of my feathered friends to teach you a thing or two about English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been never been taught by a bird before.
You might think that birds are not very clever and so not very good teachers – and you’re right! I mean look at them.
Their heads are tiny. And a tiny head means a tiny brain. So in English we call someone isn’t very bright ‘birdbrain’.
‘Birdbrain’ – something I’ve never been called.
Another thing you may have noticed about birds is that they can fly, which is very clever considering they are birdbrains.
Now imagine the view a bird can get when it’s flying.
Here’s a bird high in the sky and here’s the ground.
Marvellous. They can see everything.
So, come on, what do you think the idiom ‘to have a bird’s eye view’ means?
That’s right, it means to be able to see very clearly from a high place.
What’s that you say? Ah, really, is that right, hmm…
I’ve got some very interesting information.
Would you like to know who told me? Well didn’t you see? A little bird told me.
I can use this idiom when I want to give you some information but I don’t want you to know who told me.
A… little… bird… told… me… some very interesting information about…You!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: