In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with fish.
1. There’s something fishy about this
2. A big fish in a small pond
3. A fish out of water
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And look at these little fellows swimming about all around the place.
Well today, these fish and I have decided to get together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a fish before.
Take a look at this fellow – strange, isn’t he? In fact he looks a bit fishy.
Of course he does! He is a fish!
In English we can say that a strange or suspicious situation is ‘fishy’.
There’s something fishy about this.
Actually, there is something fishy about this… I only got this job because my brother’s the boss!
Here’s a big one. But is he the biggest fish in the world?
Of course not! He’s a big fish in a small pond – or tank actually.
A big fish in a small pond.
In English we can say that someone who’s important or powerful – but only in a small organisation – is a big fish in a small pond.
Like me. Or him.
I know you’re not stupid, but I’m going to ask you a very simple question.
Ready? Where do fish live?
Yes, of course you’re right: in the sea… yes or a river…yes or a stream, yes or a pond… yes or a tank… alright, alright, alright – in water.
Ah, good, our fish again. Happy isn’t he, swimming around in all that water?
But what if we took him out of the water?
He’d be very, very unhappy and uncomfortable because he’s in an unfamiliar place.
A fish out of water.
Like me in the discotheque. I’m a fish out of water!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: The History of English
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: