In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with
1. To monkey around
2. Monkey business
3. To make a monkey out of someone
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today these baboons and I will be monkeying around to teach you a thing or two about English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a monkey before.
We’ll be monkeying around.
Hmm, to monkey around… What do you think that could mean?
In English, ‘to monkey around’ means to behave in a silly or careless way. Pen!
To monkey around.
Like him. And me.
Anyway, down to some serious business. The English language.
What a wonderful thing… The language of Shakespeare, the language of…
Please stop talking, I’m trying to teach.
Where was I?… English, the language of…
Are you eating now?! Enough of this monkey business!
That’s right. In English, we can call bad or dishonest behaviour ‘monkey business’.
Hello it’s me, the Teacher! I bet you didn’t recognise me for a minute.
What’s the matter? What do you mean I’m not taking this seriously?
I know you’re a hard-working student of English. Don’t worry, I’m not trying to make a monkey out of you.
In English, if we’re trying to make someone look stupid we can say we’re making a monkey out of them.
To make a monkey out of someone.
The only person round here I’m making a monkey out of is me.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: The History of English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: