In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with pigs.
1. Pigs might fly
2. This place is a pigsty
3. To make a pig’s ear of something
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today I’m getting together with some pigs to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a pig before.
As you know, pigs are very light animals with feathers and wings and they fly.
No they don’t! Pigs are big, fat dirty things that definitely stay on the ground.
So, in English, we can say “pigs might fly” when someone says something that we think will never happen.
Pigs might fly.
Which is what my friends said when I told them I was going to become a rock star.
As we’ve seen, pigs are very dirty, smelly creatures.
Can you imagine what it’s like to live with a pig?
Well, it would be disgusting. Pigs live in a place called a pigsty.
In English, we can say that a very dirty or untidy place is a pigsty.
Ah, my students’ flat. This place is a pigsty.
This place is a pigsty.
Now, you might think that I’m a boring old man, but in fact I’m a fantastic skier.
Would you like to see my holiday movie?
I asked a friend to film me. Look great, don’t I? But have a look at this…
Ha, ha, ha! He made a pig’s ear of that.
In English, if someone does something very badly we can say he made a pig’s ear of it.
To make a pig’s ear of something.
What’s that? You say I’ve made a pig’s ear of this lesson? I don’t know… I work so hard and never get any thanks…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: