In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with arms.
1. They’re up in arms
2. I’d give my right arm to do it
3. He’s twisting my arm
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today these arms and I will be teaching you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by an arm before.
Oh. They’re not very happy. Mr Bean was supposed to be signing autographs but he’s cancelled at the last minute.
They’re up in arms.
In English, if people are very angry about something, we can say they’re up in arms.
They’re up in arms.
Well, I’m not surprised.
Mr Bean is a genius. I’d give my right arm to meet him.
In English, if we want something very, very much, we can say “I’d give my right arm to do it”.
I’d give my right arm to do it.
Maybe I should have given my LEFT arm to see Mr Bean…
Ah that’s better. I got my arm back from Mr Bean.
Oh, excuse me a moment. There’s my phone.
It’s my boss!
Oh no not that! Oh it’ll be so embarrassing. They’ll all think I’m an idiot. Do I have to?
In English, if someone tries to persuade us to do something that you don’t want to do we can say, he’s twisting my arm.
Ah, thank you.
He’s twisting my arm.
I can’t believe he wants me to… sing and dance for you!
I’m not an entertainer! I’m The Teacher!
But, oh well, he is the boss…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L1: Living English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: