In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with arms.
1. They’re up in arms
2. I’d give my right arm to do it
3. He’s twisting my arm
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today these arms and I will be teaching you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by an arm before.
Oh. They’re not very happy. Mr Bean was supposed to be signing autographs but he’s cancelled at the last minute.
They’re up in arms.
In English, if people are very angry about something, we can say they’re up in arms.
They’re up in arms.
Well, I’m not surprised.
Mr Bean is a genius. I’d give my right arm to meet him.
In English, if we want something very, very much, we can say “I’d give my right arm to do it”.
I’d give my right arm to do it.
Maybe I should have given my LEFT arm to see Mr Bean…
Ah that’s better. I got my arm back from Mr Bean.
Oh, excuse me a moment. There’s my phone.
It’s my boss!
Oh no not that! Oh it’ll be so embarrassing. They’ll all think I’m an idiot. Do I have to?
In English, if someone tries to persuade us to do something that you don’t want to do we can say, he’s twisting my arm.
Ah, thank you.
He’s twisting my arm.
I can’t believe he wants me to… sing and dance for you!
I’m not an entertainer! I’m The Teacher!
But, oh well, he is the boss…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: My Australia
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: