In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with arms.
1. They’re up in arms
2. I’d give my right arm to do it
3. He’s twisting my arm
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today these arms and I will be teaching you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by an arm before.
Oh. They’re not very happy. Mr Bean was supposed to be signing autographs but he’s cancelled at the last minute.
They’re up in arms.
In English, if people are very angry about something, we can say they’re up in arms.
They’re up in arms.
Well, I’m not surprised.
Mr Bean is a genius. I’d give my right arm to meet him.
In English, if we want something very, very much, we can say “I’d give my right arm to do it”.
I’d give my right arm to do it.
Maybe I should have given my LEFT arm to see Mr Bean…
Ah that’s better. I got my arm back from Mr Bean.
Oh, excuse me a moment. There’s my phone.
It’s my boss!
Oh no not that! Oh it’ll be so embarrassing. They’ll all think I’m an idiot. Do I have to?
In English, if someone tries to persuade us to do something that you don’t want to do we can say, he’s twisting my arm.
Ah, thank you.
He’s twisting my arm.
I can’t believe he wants me to… sing and dance for you!
I’m not an entertainer! I’m The Teacher!
But, oh well, he is the boss…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: VOA American Stories
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: