In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with feet.
1. I’ve got itchy feet
2. I got cold feet
3. I shot myself in the foot
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today these feet and I will be teaching you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some feet before.
Ah, the world. One day I’d like to visit the world.
You see, I haven’t left this room since… um… actually… I’ve never left this room.
Oh But I’d love to travel!!
That’s right. I’ve got itchy feet.
In English, if you have a strong feeling that you’d like to travel, we say “I’ve got itchy feet”.
I’ve got itchy feet.
Well maybe I should wash them more often.
I did try to leave this room once. I planned to visit my dream country… Belgium.
But I suddenly became too frightened to do it.
That’s right, I got cold feet.
In English, if we make a plan, but then decide not to do it because we are too nervous we say “I got cold feet”.
I got cold feet.
Well, perhaps I should buy some socks!
Erm, ok friends – a word of advice. NEVER play with guns.
Otherwise……you could shoot yourself in the foot!
In English, if you do something that ruins a situation for you, we say “I shot myself in the foot.”
I shot myself in the foot.
Like that time I ran a Marathon, only instead of drinking water, I drank beer!
Oh, I was completely useless. Ha! I could hardly run in a straight line!
Hang on, wait for me! Wait! Come back! Come back! Come back!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Daily Dose of English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: