In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with hair.
1. I let my hair down
2. Keep your hair on
3. I’m tearing my hair out
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent and hairy man.
And today, this hair and I will be teaching you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some hair before.
I’ve been a little bit busy recently but today, as you can see, I’ve decided to let my hair down.
In English, if we behave in a less serious way than usual and enjoy ourselves a little, we can say “I let my hair down.”
I let my hair down.
[Phone ringing] Hey, what’s happening baby?
Oh, sir it’s you! err yes, yes, of course, yes I’ll do that tomorrow, ok, really? Right now? ok, ok, ok…keep your hair on! [Hangs up the phone]
In English, if you want someone who’s angry to calm down, you can say “keep your hair on”.
Keep your hair on.
Fortunately, I never get angry. What do you mean? I do not! I’m always calm!… Look here you – I never get angry! I’m always calm! What is the matter with you? Look at me now! I’m calm… I’m calm and relaxed! Aarghhhh!
Darts. My favourite sport.
Oh but it’s so tense… I’m tearing my hair out!
In English, if we’re very anxious about something we can say “I’m tearing my hair out.”
I’m tearing my hair out.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: TwoMinute English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: