In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with hair.
1. I let my hair down
2. Keep your hair on
3. I’m tearing my hair out
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent and hairy man.
And today, this hair and I will be teaching you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some hair before.
I’ve been a little bit busy recently but today, as you can see, I’ve decided to let my hair down.
In English, if we behave in a less serious way than usual and enjoy ourselves a little, we can say “I let my hair down.”
I let my hair down.
[Phone ringing] Hey, what’s happening baby?
Oh, sir it’s you! err yes, yes, of course, yes I’ll do that tomorrow, ok, really? Right now? ok, ok, ok…keep your hair on! [Hangs up the phone]
In English, if you want someone who’s angry to calm down, you can say “keep your hair on”.
Keep your hair on.
Fortunately, I never get angry. What do you mean? I do not! I’m always calm!… Look here you – I never get angry! I’m always calm! What is the matter with you? Look at me now! I’m calm… I’m calm and relaxed! Aarghhhh!
Darts. My favourite sport.
Oh but it’s so tense… I’m tearing my hair out!
In English, if we’re very anxious about something we can say “I’m tearing my hair out.”
I’m tearing my hair out.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: