In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with leg.
1. I’m pulling your leg
2. It cost an arm and a leg
3. You haven’t got a leg to stand on
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today these legs and I will be coming together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some legs before!
Do you like my legs?
Do you know I’m the current “Lovely Legs of Britain” champion?
Not really. I’m only pulling your leg!
In English, if you try to make someone believe something that isn’t true, as a joke, we say I’m pulling your leg.
I’m pulling your leg.
What’s that you say? You’re going to give up learning English because this class is too silly?
Oh, ah no – you’re only pulling my leg.
Ah, my car.
I had to take it to the garage the other day and it was so expensive.
In fact, it cost an arm and a leg.
In English, if something is extremely expensive, we can say it cost an arm and a leg.
It cost an arm and a leg.
He’s threatening to fire me …again…because he says I stole one of his ties.
But he didn’t see me take it, so he hasn’t got a leg to stand on.
In English, if you’re in a situation where you can’t prove something, we say, “you haven’t got a leg to stand on”.
You haven’t got a leg to stand on.
Oh, it’s my boss…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: The History of English
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: