In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with leg.
1. I’m pulling your leg
2. It cost an arm and a leg
3. You haven’t got a leg to stand on
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today these legs and I will be coming together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some legs before!
Do you like my legs?
Do you know I’m the current “Lovely Legs of Britain” champion?
Not really. I’m only pulling your leg!
In English, if you try to make someone believe something that isn’t true, as a joke, we say I’m pulling your leg.
I’m pulling your leg.
What’s that you say? You’re going to give up learning English because this class is too silly?
Oh, ah no – you’re only pulling my leg.
Ah, my car.
I had to take it to the garage the other day and it was so expensive.
In fact, it cost an arm and a leg.
In English, if something is extremely expensive, we can say it cost an arm and a leg.
It cost an arm and a leg.
He’s threatening to fire me …again…because he says I stole one of his ties.
But he didn’t see me take it, so he hasn’t got a leg to stand on.
In English, if you’re in a situation where you can’t prove something, we say, “you haven’t got a leg to stand on”.
You haven’t got a leg to stand on.
Oh, it’s my boss…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: