In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with leg.
1. I’m pulling your leg
2. It cost an arm and a leg
3. You haven’t got a leg to stand on
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today these legs and I will be coming together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some legs before!
Do you like my legs?
Do you know I’m the current “Lovely Legs of Britain” champion?
Not really. I’m only pulling your leg!
In English, if you try to make someone believe something that isn’t true, as a joke, we say I’m pulling your leg.
I’m pulling your leg.
What’s that you say? You’re going to give up learning English because this class is too silly?
Oh, ah no – you’re only pulling my leg.
Ah, my car.
I had to take it to the garage the other day and it was so expensive.
In fact, it cost an arm and a leg.
In English, if something is extremely expensive, we can say it cost an arm and a leg.
It cost an arm and a leg.
He’s threatening to fire me …again…because he says I stole one of his ties.
But he didn’t see me take it, so he hasn’t got a leg to stand on.
In English, if you’re in a situation where you can’t prove something, we say, “you haven’t got a leg to stand on”.
You haven’t got a leg to stand on.
Oh, it’s my boss…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: