In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. A bolt from the blue.
2. Once in a blue moon
3. Until you are blue in the face
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today, the colour blue and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour blue before.
Ah, such a beautiful warm day.
I didn’t expect this terrible weather.
In fact, it’s come as a bolt…argh… from the blue!
In… English… if something… comes as… a complete surprise… we… can say it’s… a… bolt… from… the… blue. Ahhhhh!
A bolt from the blue.
And now… an astronomy lesson.
The universe is…big.
And things happen very… slowly.
Ah, the moon. A new moon is created… not very often.
In fact, it happens once in a blue moon.
In English, if things happen extremely rarely, we can say they happen ‘once in a blue moon’.
Once in a blue moon.
Like my students. They almost NEVER do their homework. In fact, they do it once in a blue moon. But they don’t really listen to me.
I say to them ‘Do your homework.’ I do, ‘Do your homework’. That’s what I tell them. ‘Do your homework.’ That’s what I say. ‘Do your homework.’
That’s right. I say it until I’m blue in the face.
In English, if we say something until we are blue in the face, we waste time and effort because we won’t get any results.
Until you are blue in the face.
Oh please do your homework.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: