In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. A bolt from the blue.
2. Once in a blue moon
3. Until you are blue in the face
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today, the colour blue and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour blue before.
Ah, such a beautiful warm day.
I didn’t expect this terrible weather.
In fact, it’s come as a bolt…argh… from the blue!
In… English… if something… comes as… a complete surprise… we… can say it’s… a… bolt… from… the… blue. Ahhhhh!
A bolt from the blue.
And now… an astronomy lesson.
The universe is…big.
And things happen very… slowly.
Ah, the moon. A new moon is created… not very often.
In fact, it happens once in a blue moon.
In English, if things happen extremely rarely, we can say they happen ‘once in a blue moon’.
Once in a blue moon.
Like my students. They almost NEVER do their homework. In fact, they do it once in a blue moon. But they don’t really listen to me.
I say to them ‘Do your homework.’ I do, ‘Do your homework’. That’s what I tell them. ‘Do your homework.’ That’s what I say. ‘Do your homework.’
That’s right. I say it until I’m blue in the face.
In English, if we say something until we are blue in the face, we waste time and effort because we won’t get any results.
Until you are blue in the face.
Oh please do your homework.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: