In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. A bolt from the blue.
2. Once in a blue moon
3. Until you are blue in the face
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today, the colour blue and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour blue before.
Ah, such a beautiful warm day.
I didn’t expect this terrible weather.
In fact, it’s come as a bolt…argh… from the blue!
In… English… if something… comes as… a complete surprise… we… can say it’s… a… bolt… from… the… blue. Ahhhhh!
A bolt from the blue.
And now… an astronomy lesson.
The universe is…big.
And things happen very… slowly.
Ah, the moon. A new moon is created… not very often.
In fact, it happens once in a blue moon.
In English, if things happen extremely rarely, we can say they happen ‘once in a blue moon’.
Once in a blue moon.
Like my students. They almost NEVER do their homework. In fact, they do it once in a blue moon. But they don’t really listen to me.
I say to them ‘Do your homework.’ I do, ‘Do your homework’. That’s what I tell them. ‘Do your homework.’ That’s what I say. ‘Do your homework.’
That’s right. I say it until I’m blue in the face.
In English, if we say something until we are blue in the face, we waste time and effort because we won’t get any results.
Until you are blue in the face.
Oh please do your homework.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: