In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. A bolt from the blue.
2. Once in a blue moon
3. Until you are blue in the face
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today, the colour blue and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour blue before.
Ah, such a beautiful warm day.
I didn’t expect this terrible weather.
In fact, it’s come as a bolt…argh… from the blue!
In… English… if something… comes as… a complete surprise… we… can say it’s… a… bolt… from… the… blue. Ahhhhh!
A bolt from the blue.
And now… an astronomy lesson.
The universe is…big.
And things happen very… slowly.
Ah, the moon. A new moon is created… not very often.
In fact, it happens once in a blue moon.
In English, if things happen extremely rarely, we can say they happen ‘once in a blue moon’.
Once in a blue moon.
Like my students. They almost NEVER do their homework. In fact, they do it once in a blue moon. But they don’t really listen to me.
I say to them ‘Do your homework.’ I do, ‘Do your homework’. That’s what I tell them. ‘Do your homework.’ That’s what I say. ‘Do your homework.’
That’s right. I say it until I’m blue in the face.
In English, if we say something until we are blue in the face, we waste time and effort because we won’t get any results.
Until you are blue in the face.
Oh please do your homework.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: