In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. To have green fingers.
2. The grass is always greener on the other side.
3. I’m green with envy.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent gardener…man.
And today, this thumb, this lawn and this head are getting together with the colour green to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour green before.
Do you like my garden? It’s very… wild.
So you won’t be surprised to see these…
In English, if someone is a good gardener and can make plants grow very easily, we say they have green fingers.
To have green fingers.
Oh. That’s not very good, is it? My lawn is my weakness.
Oh, I wish I had a different lawn! If I had a different lawn…
… everything would be so much better in my life.
Ah, my boss’s lawn. Beautiful, isn’t it? It’s so much greener than my lawn. But then the grass is always greener on the other side.
In English, if you think that other people are always in a better situation than you, even when they are not, we say ‘The grass is always greener on the other side’.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Well, maybe I should water it more often.
Yes. I should take control of my lawn…and my life. Jealousy is a very bad thing.
I shouldn’t be jealous of my boss’s…beautiful, wonderful, marvellous, fantastic, luxuriant …lawn.
That’s right. I’m green with envy!
In English, if we are unhappy because someone else has something that we want, we say ‘I’m green with envy’.
I’m green with envy.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: