In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. To have green fingers.
2. The grass is always greener on the other side.
3. I’m green with envy.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent gardener…man.
And today, this thumb, this lawn and this head are getting together with the colour green to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour green before.
Do you like my garden? It’s very… wild.
So you won’t be surprised to see these…
In English, if someone is a good gardener and can make plants grow very easily, we say they have green fingers.
To have green fingers.
Oh. That’s not very good, is it? My lawn is my weakness.
Oh, I wish I had a different lawn! If I had a different lawn…
… everything would be so much better in my life.
Ah, my boss’s lawn. Beautiful, isn’t it? It’s so much greener than my lawn. But then the grass is always greener on the other side.
In English, if you think that other people are always in a better situation than you, even when they are not, we say ‘The grass is always greener on the other side’.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Well, maybe I should water it more often.
Yes. I should take control of my lawn…and my life. Jealousy is a very bad thing.
I shouldn’t be jealous of my boss’s…beautiful, wonderful, marvellous, fantastic, luxuriant …lawn.
That’s right. I’m green with envy!
In English, if we are unhappy because someone else has something that we want, we say ‘I’m green with envy’.
I’m green with envy.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L1: The History of English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: