In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. To have green fingers.
2. The grass is always greener on the other side.
3. I’m green with envy.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent gardener…man.
And today, this thumb, this lawn and this head are getting together with the colour green to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour green before.
Do you like my garden? It’s very… wild.
So you won’t be surprised to see these…
In English, if someone is a good gardener and can make plants grow very easily, we say they have green fingers.
To have green fingers.
Oh. That’s not very good, is it? My lawn is my weakness.
Oh, I wish I had a different lawn! If I had a different lawn…
… everything would be so much better in my life.
Ah, my boss’s lawn. Beautiful, isn’t it? It’s so much greener than my lawn. But then the grass is always greener on the other side.
In English, if you think that other people are always in a better situation than you, even when they are not, we say ‘The grass is always greener on the other side’.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Well, maybe I should water it more often.
Yes. I should take control of my lawn…and my life. Jealousy is a very bad thing.
I shouldn’t be jealous of my boss’s…beautiful, wonderful, marvellous, fantastic, luxuriant …lawn.
That’s right. I’m green with envy!
In English, if we are unhappy because someone else has something that we want, we say ‘I’m green with envy’.
I’m green with envy.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: VOA American Stories
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: