In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. To have green fingers.
2. The grass is always greener on the other side.
3. I’m green with envy.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent gardener…man.
And today, this thumb, this lawn and this head are getting together with the colour green to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour green before.
Do you like my garden? It’s very… wild.
So you won’t be surprised to see these…
In English, if someone is a good gardener and can make plants grow very easily, we say they have green fingers.
To have green fingers.
Oh. That’s not very good, is it? My lawn is my weakness.
Oh, I wish I had a different lawn! If I had a different lawn…
… everything would be so much better in my life.
Ah, my boss’s lawn. Beautiful, isn’t it? It’s so much greener than my lawn. But then the grass is always greener on the other side.
In English, if you think that other people are always in a better situation than you, even when they are not, we say ‘The grass is always greener on the other side’.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Well, maybe I should water it more often.
Yes. I should take control of my lawn…and my life. Jealousy is a very bad thing.
I shouldn’t be jealous of my boss’s…beautiful, wonderful, marvellous, fantastic, luxuriant …lawn.
That’s right. I’m green with envy!
In English, if we are unhappy because someone else has something that we want, we say ‘I’m green with envy’.
I’m green with envy.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: