In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. To have green fingers.
2. The grass is always greener on the other side.
3. I’m green with envy.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent gardener…man.
And today, this thumb, this lawn and this head are getting together with the colour green to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour green before.
Do you like my garden? It’s very… wild.
So you won’t be surprised to see these…
In English, if someone is a good gardener and can make plants grow very easily, we say they have green fingers.
To have green fingers.
Oh. That’s not very good, is it? My lawn is my weakness.
Oh, I wish I had a different lawn! If I had a different lawn…
… everything would be so much better in my life.
Ah, my boss’s lawn. Beautiful, isn’t it? It’s so much greener than my lawn. But then the grass is always greener on the other side.
In English, if you think that other people are always in a better situation than you, even when they are not, we say ‘The grass is always greener on the other side’.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Well, maybe I should water it more often.
Yes. I should take control of my lawn…and my life. Jealousy is a very bad thing.
I shouldn’t be jealous of my boss’s…beautiful, wonderful, marvellous, fantastic, luxuriant …lawn.
That’s right. I’m green with envy!
In English, if we are unhappy because someone else has something that we want, we say ‘I’m green with envy’.
I’m green with envy.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: My Australia
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: