In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. Paint the town red
2. Catch someone red-handed
3. Like a red rag to a bull
Hello. I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today the colour red and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour red before!
Are you REDy to be taught by the colour red. Get it? REDy to be taught!? Get it?!
No. I’m not doing that joke again.
You see, I’m actually a very serious man.
Here I am meeting the Queen’s husband at Buckingham Palace to receive my award.
I did celebrate afterwards…a little… well, a lot.
That’s right. I painted the town red.
In English, if you go out to celebrate something, usually while drinking a lot of alcohol, we say “I painted the town red.”
I painted the town red.
Perhaps a little too red…
After the party I took some friends back to the office and… borrowed some of my boss’s champagne.
The trouble was… he was still working… in the next room.
That’s right. He caught me red-handed.
In English, if you find someone doing something bad or illegal while they are doing it, we say: ‘I caught him red-handed’.
I caught him red-handed.
Lovely, friendly animals, aren’t they?
But not…if you do this!
That’s right. It’s like a red rag to a bull.
In English, if you do something that is certain to create an angry response, we say it’s like a red rag to a bull.
It’s like a red rag to a bull
I’m outta here!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: