In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. Paint the town red
2. Catch someone red-handed
3. Like a red rag to a bull
Hello. I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today the colour red and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the colour red before!
Are you REDy to be taught by the colour red. Get it? REDy to be taught!? Get it?!
No. I’m not doing that joke again.
You see, I’m actually a very serious man.
Here I am meeting the Queen’s husband at Buckingham Palace to receive my award.
I did celebrate afterwards…a little… well, a lot.
That’s right. I painted the town red.
In English, if you go out to celebrate something, usually while drinking a lot of alcohol, we say “I painted the town red.”
I painted the town red.
Perhaps a little too red…
After the party I took some friends back to the office and… borrowed some of my boss’s champagne.
The trouble was… he was still working… in the next room.
That’s right. He caught me red-handed.
In English, if you find someone doing something bad or illegal while they are doing it, we say: ‘I caught him red-handed’.
I caught him red-handed.
Lovely, friendly animals, aren’t they?
But not…if you do this!
That’s right. It’s like a red rag to a bull.
In English, if you do something that is certain to create an angry response, we say it’s like a red rag to a bull.
It’s like a red rag to a bull
I’m outta here!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: The History of English
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: My Australia
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: