In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. Born with a silver spoon in your mouth
3. Every cloud has a silver lining
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent king.
And today this spoon, these clouds, this tongue and this silver will be getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some silver before.
As you can see, I have a silver spoon in my mouth.
I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth.
I’m the King of English.
In English, if you have a high social position and have been rich all your life, we say you were ‘born with a silver spoon in your mouth.’
Born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
The only problem is, it’s done something to my tongue…
You know you really are very, very good students.
Yes, you are. You’re wonderful. And your English is MAGNIFICENT.
If you send just 5 pounds every month to me… I could make your English even better…
Yes, I am silver-tongued.
In English, we call someone who speaks in such a pleasant way they can make other people do things for them, silver-tongued.
I love tennis. Especially on a beautiful sunny day!
Oh no, clouds. Looks like rain. Oh well, I suppose instead of playing tennis I’ll go home and watch myMr Bean DVDs.
Yes…Every cloud has a silver lining.
In English, if there is a situation which seems bad but in fact has some advantage to it, we say ‘Every cloud has a silver lining’.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Well, that’s the end of the lesson. But at least it means you won’t be seeing me any more.
Every cloud has a silver lining!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: