In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. Black and white
2. As white as a sheet
3. A white-knuckle ride
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today, the colour white and I will be teaching you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never……
Aaah, the world. Such a beautiful place…
…urgh. How filthy.
The environment is … really important. And if we don’t take care of the environment then…
something really bad will happen.
For me, it’s black and white.
In English…… if we have situation in which it’s easy for someone to understand what’s wrong and what’s right, we say ‘it’s black and white’.
It’s black and white.
Erm… so it is. It really is black and white.
Um, it’s a good thing I don’t really get scared very easily because this place is… not very nice.
Argh! What do you mean, I’m as white as a sheet?
In English, if someone is very pale because they are ill or shocked or scared, we say they’re as
white as a sheet.
As white as a sheet.
Oh come on, I’m brave! I love roller coasters, for example.
Oh, that’s huge!
Well, here I go.
That was a real white-knuckle ride.
In English, if something is very exciting or scary, we call it a white-knuckle ride.
A white-knuckle ride.
Like my lessons. They’re a real white knuckle ride. Oh yeah, so exciting, yeah!… ah, where did everybody go? Where have you all gone?
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: VOA American Stories
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: