In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. Black and white
2. As white as a sheet
3. A white-knuckle ride
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today, the colour white and I will be teaching you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never……
Aaah, the world. Such a beautiful place…
…urgh. How filthy.
The environment is … really important. And if we don’t take care of the environment then…
something really bad will happen.
For me, it’s black and white.
In English…… if we have situation in which it’s easy for someone to understand what’s wrong and what’s right, we say ‘it’s black and white’.
It’s black and white.
Erm… so it is. It really is black and white.
Um, it’s a good thing I don’t really get scared very easily because this place is… not very nice.
Argh! What do you mean, I’m as white as a sheet?
In English, if someone is very pale because they are ill or shocked or scared, we say they’re as
white as a sheet.
As white as a sheet.
Oh come on, I’m brave! I love roller coasters, for example.
Oh, that’s huge!
Well, here I go.
That was a real white-knuckle ride.
In English, if something is very exciting or scary, we call it a white-knuckle ride.
A white-knuckle ride.
Like my lessons. They’re a real white knuckle ride. Oh yeah, so exciting, yeah!… ah, where did everybody go? Where have you all gone?
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: my American friend English podcast
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: