In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with eggs.
1. He’s a bad egg
2. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket
3. He got egg on his face
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today this egg and I will be helping you to speak egg-cellent [excellent] English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by an egg before!
Hmm, eggs. I love the smell of fried eggs… Urgh!
It’s a bad egg.
In English, if we want to say that someone is bad or dishonest, we can call him a bad egg.
He’s a bad egg
Like my boss, he promised me a pay rise and then he threatened to fire me. He’s a bad egg.
And he smells like a bad egg too…
Have you met my pet rabbit Ken?
He’s a very sensible rabbit. As you can see, he hasn’t put all his eggs in one basket.
It would be very silly to put all your eggs in one basket.
Because if you dropped it… you’d break them all.
So, in English we say ‘don’t put all your eggs in one basket’.
It means you should never rely on only one plan – in case it goes wrong.
Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Did you like that trick?
The problem is, if I get it wrong I can get egg on my face.
In English, if someone makes a mistake which makes him look stupid, we can say ‘he got egg on his face’.
He got egg on his face.
Fortunately, I never make mistakes.
Oops, looks like I got egg on my face.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: The History of English
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: TwoMinute English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: