In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with fruit.
1. To go bananas
2. It’s a case of sour grapes
3. A second bite of the cherry
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today, these bananas, this cherry, these grapes and I will be teaching you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some fruit before.
Now as we know, all sensible fruit is round and green, or red, or orange. But not this fellow.
No, the banana is long and yellow and he bends.
What a crazy fruit!
And what’s more… monkeys eat them. And we all know what monkeys are like.
In English, if someone is very emotional and starts shouting and behaving in a crazy way, we say he’s gone bananas.
To go bananas.
Like me when I scored the winning goal in the last minute of that cup final. I went completely bananas.
Oh really, well, that’s wonderful for you. Yes, but you know there’s more to life than money – it doesn’t really interest me at all.
That was my boss. He’s won the lottery – twenty million pounds!
I told him I wasn’t really interested in money, so I’m not jealous at all…but it’s not true. I wish I was rich!
Ah, thank you.
Yes, it’s a case of sour grapes.
In English, if somebody pretends not to be impressed by something because they are jealous, we say it’s a case of sour grapes.
It’s a case of sour grapes.
At least now he’s so rich, perhaps he’ll leave.
Did you know I could juggle?
Hang on, give me a second bite of the cherry.
In English, if we try to do something a second time because we failed at first, we call it a second bite of the cherry.
A second bite of the cherry.
OK, here I go…
How about a third bite of the cherry? What do you mean there are no cherries left?
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Daily Dose of English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: