In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with tea.
1. It’s not my cup of tea
2. I wouldn’t do it for all the tea in China
3. It’s as good as a chocolate teapot
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today, this tea and I will teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some tea before.
I love tea. Of course I do, I’m an Englishman.
What’s this? It isn’t my cup of tea!
In English, if there’s something we don’t like very much for example a sport or a type of music, we can say ‘it’s not my cup of tea’.
It’s not my cup of tea.
Please turn that down. Jazz really isn’t my cup of tea.
Time for a geography lesson. China is an extremely large country.
Can you imagine how much tea there is in China?
Now, lucky you. Today I’m going to do anything at all that you ask.
So, come on…
Well, I wouldn’t do that for all the tea in China.
In English, if there is something we would never do, we can say ‘I wouldn’t do it for all the tea in China’.
I wouldn’t do it for all the tea in China.
It means there is nothing, not even something worth a great deal that could persuade you.
I can’t believe you asked me to…to do that.
Tea is hot. Well, apart from iced tea.
And where do we make tea? That’s right. In a teapot
So, as tea is very hot, what do you think is a good material for a teapot?
Porcelain yes, glass yes, metal ok, chocolate… NO!
A chocolate teapot would be completely useless.
In English, if something is completely useless, we can say ‘it’s as good as a chocolate teapot’.
It’s as good as a chocolate teapot.
What’s that you say? You say these lessons are as good as a chocolate teapot? I don’t know. I work so hard for you and no-one seems to understand me. Quite sad really.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: