In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with
1. It’s a hot potato
2. A carrot and stick
3. Like two peas in a pod
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today, this carrot, these peas and this potato are going to be teaching you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some vegetables before.
Ah, my boss.
He’s not very happy with me at the moment.
He found out I’m giving you these secret video classes and he wants me to stop.
He thinks these lessons are just… silly.
It’s a hot potato.
In English, if there’s a delicate issue and people can’t agree we call it a ‘hot potato’.
It’s a hot potato.
But he has offered me a carrot. Well, not a real one.
If I stop the classes he’ll buy me a framed picture of Mr Bean.
But if I don’t, he’ll fire me and stop the classes!
It’s a carrot and stick.
In English, if someone tries to persuade us to do something using an incentive and a threat, we call it a ‘carrot and stick’.
A carrot and stick.
Have you met my brother?
He’s not very interesting or intelligent, but he does look very similar to me.
Yes, we’re like two peas in a pod.
In English, if two people look very similar we can say they’re like two peas in a pod.
Like two peas in a pod.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: The History of English
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: