For Halloween, The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with fear:
1. Shaking like a leaf
2. Scared stiff
3. It sends shivers up and down my spine
Hello. I’m a very interesting, intelligent and brave man.
And for Halloween, I’ve come to the most haunted village in Britain to teach you some idioms about…
Come with me to the churchyard… where we’ll find some… ghosts…
They say two ghosts – ‘the White Lady of Dering’ and ‘the Red Lady’ – haunt this churchyard.
But I don’t believe in ghosts…
What do you mean I’m shaking like a leaf?
In English, when someone is so scared they can’t stop moving, you can say they’re ‘shaking like a leaf.’
Shaking like a leaf.
I think I’d like a drink.
The Black Horse pub… is haunted.
You can hear the ghosts…
I’m scared stiff.
you are so frightened you can’t move, you can say ‘I’m scared stiff.’
I’m not thirsty any more.
In fact, I don’t want to be here any more. I think I’d prefer to go home…
…before it gets dark.
Oh no! I have to get to the station. And avoid…
The Screaming Woods.
This place sends shivers up and down my spine.
In English, when something frightens you very much, you can say ‘It sends shivers up and down my spine.’
It sends shivers up and down my spine.
OK, have we finished filming now chaps?
Ah yes, alright, very funny, joke’s over. Can we go home now please?
Where are you, chaps? Where am I?
Help. Help! HELP!!! HEEELLLLLP!!!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: The History of English
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: