For Halloween, The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with fear:
1. Shaking like a leaf
2. Scared stiff
3. It sends shivers up and down my spine
Hello. I’m a very interesting, intelligent and brave man.
And for Halloween, I’ve come to the most haunted village in Britain to teach you some idioms about…
Come with me to the churchyard… where we’ll find some… ghosts…
They say two ghosts – ‘the White Lady of Dering’ and ‘the Red Lady’ – haunt this churchyard.
But I don’t believe in ghosts…
What do you mean I’m shaking like a leaf?
In English, when someone is so scared they can’t stop moving, you can say they’re ‘shaking like a leaf.’
Shaking like a leaf.
I think I’d like a drink.
The Black Horse pub… is haunted.
You can hear the ghosts…
I’m scared stiff.
you are so frightened you can’t move, you can say ‘I’m scared stiff.’
I’m not thirsty any more.
In fact, I don’t want to be here any more. I think I’d prefer to go home…
…before it gets dark.
Oh no! I have to get to the station. And avoid…
The Screaming Woods.
This place sends shivers up and down my spine.
In English, when something frightens you very much, you can say ‘It sends shivers up and down my spine.’
It sends shivers up and down my spine.
OK, have we finished filming now chaps?
Ah yes, alright, very funny, joke’s over. Can we go home now please?
Where are you, chaps? Where am I?
Help. Help! HELP!!! HEEELLLLLP!!!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Colour idioms – White
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: The History of English
- L2: My Australia
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: VOA American Stories
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: