BBC New How to – haggle: In the UK, haggling is not as common as in some other countries. You wouldn’t normally haggle in a department store here, or in other big shops. But you might haggle in a market, or for something like a second-hand car…
So, Rob paid £600 in the end. And here are the ‘haggling expressions’ that Finn talked about:
1. ‘Do’ = sell
When we are haggling, instead of using the verb sell, we often use do. We use it with can/can’t and could/couldn’t:
- I can probably do it for about £650.
- Can’t you do it a bit cheaper?
- Could you do it for 500?
- You couldn’t do it for £550?
2. To ‘knock off’
This phrasal verb means ‘lower the price’.
- Can you knock off another £30?
- I could knock off £10 for you.
3. When you’ve got a deal: ‘Go on then’
To show that the price is agreed, it sounds very natural in spoken English for the buyer and/or the seller to say: Go on then.
- Buyer: £600?
- Seller: Go on then.
- Buyer: I’ll give you £40 for it.
- Seller: Go on then.
BBC New How to – haggle (Transcript Video)
BBC How to…
- BBC New How to – make complaints
- BBC New How to – haggle
- BBC How to… be vague
- BBC How to… tell a story
- BBC How to… show interest
- BBC How to… agree with someone in an informal conversation
- BBC How to… be sarcastic
- BBC How to… chat someone up
- BBC How to… tell about serious incidents
- BBC How to… get back on topic
- BBC How to… gossip
- BBC How to… to tell about funny incidents
- BBC How to… respond to compliments
- BBC How to… express no strong feelings
- BBC How to… talk about things you don’t like
- BBC How to… talk about things you like
- BBC How to… close topics
- BBC How to… extend a conversation
- BBC How to… take offence
- BBC How to… express uncertainty
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: