How Ronaldo became ‘the perfect player’: Most football fans agree that Cristiano Ronaldo is a great player – but is he perfect?
In this episode of News Report, we hear what two of Ronaldo’s coaches think about his rise to fame – and how he made it happen.
Happy and sad jobs: Does your job make you happy? Which jobs do you think make people happiest and unhappiest? You might be surprised by the answer.
In this episode of News Report, you’ll hear about some interesting research into happiness at work and meet a man who’s done the job that makes people happiest – and the job that makes people least satisfied.
The island at the end of the earth: Do you ever want to take a holiday somewhere really far away?
In this week’s News Report we visit an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, where only 62 people live.
What is your ideal holiday destination?
It could be the tiny Pacific island of Palmerston. With its beautiful white sand, transparent water, and palm trees, you may think you have arrived in paradise.
But this is one of the most remote islands in the world. Surrounded by thousands of miles of ocean, it is only accessible by boat. The journey takes nine days from Tahiti, and is long and dangerous. However, it’s well worth it.
“Nothing goes wrong in Palmerston,” says Bob Marsters, the mayor, who greets visitors in his boat. He, like all except three of the other 62 islanders are descendants of one man – William Marsters, an Englishman who settled here 150 years ago with his three wives.
There’s no shop on the island and drinking water comes from rainwater. A ship with supplies calls just twice a year. The main street is a narrow piece of sand no more than 100 metres long, and has only half a dozen buildings.
But what the island lacks in amenities, it makes up in its beauty and peace. If you want to get away from it all, this island ‘at the end of the earth’ could be the place to go. You may never want to go back home.
ideal – perfect; best possible
destination – place where someone is going
transparent – if something is transparent, you can see through it
breeze – a light wind
remote – far away
accessible – able to be reached
mayor – leader of a town or city
supplies – things like food and medicine that you need to live
narrow – not wide
half a dozen – six (a dozen = 12)
lacks – doesn’t have
amenities – things that make life more pleasant and easy
to get away from it all – to have a break somewhere far away
How to have a wedding on a budget: Weddings can be expensive. Very expensive. So how can you save money?
In this week’s News Report hear about a way to cut the cost of your wedding by 50%.
BBC News Report Nov 2014 Transcript Video
More BBC Words in the News
- BBC News Report July 2015 with transcript video
- BBC News Report Jun 2015 with transcript video
- BBC News Report May 2015 with transcript video
- BBC News Report Apr 2015 with transcript video
- BBC News Report Mar 2015 with transcript video
- BBC News Report Feb 2015 with transcript video
- BBC News Report Jan 2015 with transcript video
- BBC News Report Dec 2014 with transcript video
- BBC News Report Nov 2014 with transcript video
- BBC News Report Oct 2014 with transcript video
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L4: Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L4: Freakonomics Radio Podcast
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L0: EFU English Elementary Level
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: