BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 4 – Creature meets creator: “I’m scientist Viktor Frankenstein and I had an unexpected meeting when I was walking to the top of Montavert. The Creature wanted to talk to me. I was angry but I followed it to its hut…”
evil – bad, cruel and unpleasant
duty – things that you have to do, often for a job or because of moral obligation
coward – someone who is afraid of everything
suffered – felt bad because life has been very hard
hostile – someone or something unfriendly
rejected – not accepted and loved by others, not included in tasks or activities
disgusting – very unpleasant
hut – a very small wooden building, usually for keeping things in, not for living in
TODAY – IN THE ARCTIC
Hello. I’m Viktor Frankenstein. I’ve been telling you about how my young brother was murdered and his nanny was executed for the crime. But she was innocent! I felt guilty because I think the boy was killed by my creature. Yes, I’ve created the most evil creature on Earth! Nobody knew about it. I was so sad and lonely. I missed those days when I didn’t worry so much. One morning I decided to go alone to the top of Montavert, where I had an unexpected meeting…
IN THE PAST – ON TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN
Oh… this was a steep climb. But I finally reached the top… Oh, what a view! It’s fantastic! The air is so fresh! I feel so much better now!
A NOISE IN THE BUSHES
Oh… Here I am.
It’s you, monster!
I came to talk to you.
I hate you! Don’t you fear I might hurt you? Go away! If you stay here I’ll kill you! I wish I could bring back the people you killed just by… just by killing you!
I expected this welcome. Everybody hates me. You, my creator, hate me the most. But if you do your duty towards me, I’ll do mine towards you and all the other people – all men and women.
Yes. I’ll leave everybody in peace if you do one thing for me; but if you refuse, I’ll kill your friends and family.
Horrible monster! I will kill you first!
FRANKENSTEIN TRIES TO ATTACK THE CREATURE
Running from me, you coward? Come here. I’m gonna catch you!
Be calm! Haven’t I suffered enough? My life is difficult but it’s important to me and I’ll fight for it. Remember that I am stronger than you.
Well, I have to admit that you are.
Oh Frankenstein, don’t be like all the others who are hostile to me. Remember, that I’m your creature, and at the moment, the saddest creature of all. I see people happy everywhere. I feel rejected. I’m very lonely.
Because you are disgusting!
It’s not my fault. I was good and had a kind heart; suffering made me bad. Make me happy, and I’ll be good again.
What do you want me to do?
Follow me and hear my story.
TODAY – IN THE ARCTIC
He led the way and I followed him. I kept thinking about what he had just said… Well… he had a point. I had created him. I was feeling sorry for him but I was also curious and… and wanted to know if he had really killed my brother. Maybe he didn’t. We went into a hut. I sat by the fire to listen to his story. He looked happy to see me there.
IN THE PAST – IN THE CREATURE’S HUT
Well, here we are.
It’s difficult for me to remember my first moments. I was so confused. Light hurt my eyes and I realised it was the sun. I was hungry and thirsty…
TODAY – IN THE ARCTIC
Yes, the Creature was like a child when I left it all alone in my laboratory. I ran away in fear when it woke up. Maybe I had a duty towards it. The Creature was left to find its way in the world for itself. It learnt how to survive in the forest, and… it had its first contact with man. How did it go? I’ll let the Creature itself tell you all about it. That’s what you’ll hear next time…
BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 4 Transcript Video
BBC Short Dramas – Frankenstein
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 1
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 2
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 3
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 4
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 5
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 6
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 7
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 8
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 9
- BBC Short Dramas: Frankenstein 10
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: My Australia
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: Living English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: