In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
sport of athletics.
1. A false start.
2. To jump the gun.
3. The front runner.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent athlete… man.
Director: Stop, stop, stop, that’s all wrong. Do it again please, do it again!
The Teacher: Oh no. A false start.
Director: Take two – and, action!
The Teacher: Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent athlete… man.
And today the sport of athletics and I are getting together to teach you a thing or two about English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of athletics before.
Oh, another false start!
In English, if you try to do something which fails because you are not properly ready or able to do it, we call it a false start.
A false start.
Like the beginning of this lesson. That was a false start.
How was that?
Director: Very good, very good.
The Teacher: Let’s hope the race starts properly this time.
Ah, we keep jumping the gun.
In English, if someone tries to do something too soon without thinking about it properly, we say they’ve jumped the gun.
To jump the gun.
Like that time I asked a girl to marry me just minutes after meeting her. I really jumped the gun.
Let’s hope we get it right this time.
Looks like I’m the front runner!
In English, we call the person or organisation most likely to win something ‘the front runner’.
The front runner.
Well I WAS the front runner until I stopped to teach YOU!
I don’t know! All the hard work I put in for you! All the sacrifices I make and this is how you repay me!Well, thanks! Thanks a lot!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: VOA American Stories
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: