In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
sport of athletics.
1. A false start.
2. To jump the gun.
3. The front runner.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent athlete… man.
Director: Stop, stop, stop, that’s all wrong. Do it again please, do it again!
The Teacher: Oh no. A false start.
Director: Take two – and, action!
The Teacher: Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent athlete… man.
And today the sport of athletics and I are getting together to teach you a thing or two about English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of athletics before.
Oh, another false start!
In English, if you try to do something which fails because you are not properly ready or able to do it, we call it a false start.
A false start.
Like the beginning of this lesson. That was a false start.
How was that?
Director: Very good, very good.
The Teacher: Let’s hope the race starts properly this time.
Ah, we keep jumping the gun.
In English, if someone tries to do something too soon without thinking about it properly, we say they’ve jumped the gun.
To jump the gun.
Like that time I asked a girl to marry me just minutes after meeting her. I really jumped the gun.
Let’s hope we get it right this time.
Looks like I’m the front runner!
In English, we call the person or organisation most likely to win something ‘the front runner’.
The front runner.
Well I WAS the front runner until I stopped to teach YOU!
I don’t know! All the hard work I put in for you! All the sacrifices I make and this is how you repay me!Well, thanks! Thanks a lot!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: The History of English
- L2: VOA American Stories
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: