In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
sport of athletics.
1. A false start.
2. To jump the gun.
3. The front runner.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent athlete… man.
Director: Stop, stop, stop, that’s all wrong. Do it again please, do it again!
The Teacher: Oh no. A false start.
Director: Take two – and, action!
The Teacher: Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent athlete… man.
And today the sport of athletics and I are getting together to teach you a thing or two about English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of athletics before.
Oh, another false start!
In English, if you try to do something which fails because you are not properly ready or able to do it, we call it a false start.
A false start.
Like the beginning of this lesson. That was a false start.
How was that?
Director: Very good, very good.
The Teacher: Let’s hope the race starts properly this time.
Ah, we keep jumping the gun.
In English, if someone tries to do something too soon without thinking about it properly, we say they’ve jumped the gun.
To jump the gun.
Like that time I asked a girl to marry me just minutes after meeting her. I really jumped the gun.
Let’s hope we get it right this time.
Looks like I’m the front runner!
In English, we call the person or organisation most likely to win something ‘the front runner’.
The front runner.
Well I WAS the front runner until I stopped to teach YOU!
I don’t know! All the hard work I put in for you! All the sacrifices I make and this is how you repay me!Well, thanks! Thanks a lot!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: The History of English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: