In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with ball
1. Keep your eye on the ball.
2. It’s a whole new ball game.
3. On the ball.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today these…
…balls and I are getting together to teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some balls before.
When playing sports, it’s very important to keep your eye on the ball, because if you don’t…
…something bad can happen.
In English, when we want someone to give their complete attention to something, we say ‘keep your eye on the ball’.
Keep your eye on the ball.
Ah, table tennis! I love table tennis.
Basketball?! That’s a whole new ball game.
In English, if there is a situation we know little about or is totally different, we can say ‘It’s a whole new ball game.
It’s a whole new ball game.
Like that time I thought I was going out for a quiet hike and ended up climbing Mount Everest. That was a whole new ball game.
As you already know, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
That’s right! I’m on the ball.
In English, if someone is very quick to understand something, we say they’re on the ball.
On the ball.
Argh!! Oh dear…oh dear! Argh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: