In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with ball
1. Keep your eye on the ball.
2. It’s a whole new ball game.
3. On the ball.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today these…
…balls and I are getting together to teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some balls before.
When playing sports, it’s very important to keep your eye on the ball, because if you don’t…
…something bad can happen.
In English, when we want someone to give their complete attention to something, we say ‘keep your eye on the ball’.
Keep your eye on the ball.
Ah, table tennis! I love table tennis.
Basketball?! That’s a whole new ball game.
In English, if there is a situation we know little about or is totally different, we can say ‘It’s a whole new ball game.
It’s a whole new ball game.
Like that time I thought I was going out for a quiet hike and ended up climbing Mount Everest. That was a whole new ball game.
As you already know, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
That’s right! I’m on the ball.
In English, if someone is very quick to understand something, we say they’re on the ball.
On the ball.
Argh!! Oh dear…oh dear! Argh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: