In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with ball
1. Keep your eye on the ball.
2. It’s a whole new ball game.
3. On the ball.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today these…
…balls and I are getting together to teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some balls before.
When playing sports, it’s very important to keep your eye on the ball, because if you don’t…
…something bad can happen.
In English, when we want someone to give their complete attention to something, we say ‘keep your eye on the ball’.
Keep your eye on the ball.
Ah, table tennis! I love table tennis.
Basketball?! That’s a whole new ball game.
In English, if there is a situation we know little about or is totally different, we can say ‘It’s a whole new ball game.
It’s a whole new ball game.
Like that time I thought I was going out for a quiet hike and ended up climbing Mount Everest. That was a whole new ball game.
As you already know, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
That’s right! I’m on the ball.
In English, if someone is very quick to understand something, we say they’re on the ball.
On the ball.
Argh!! Oh dear…oh dear! Argh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: