In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with ball
1. Keep your eye on the ball.
2. It’s a whole new ball game.
3. On the ball.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today these…
…balls and I are getting together to teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some balls before.
When playing sports, it’s very important to keep your eye on the ball, because if you don’t…
…something bad can happen.
In English, when we want someone to give their complete attention to something, we say ‘keep your eye on the ball’.
Keep your eye on the ball.
Ah, table tennis! I love table tennis.
Basketball?! That’s a whole new ball game.
In English, if there is a situation we know little about or is totally different, we can say ‘It’s a whole new ball game.
It’s a whole new ball game.
Like that time I thought I was going out for a quiet hike and ended up climbing Mount Everest. That was a whole new ball game.
As you already know, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
That’s right! I’m on the ball.
In English, if someone is very quick to understand something, we say they’re on the ball.
On the ball.
Argh!! Oh dear…oh dear! Argh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: