In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with ball
1. Keep your eye on the ball.
2. It’s a whole new ball game.
3. On the ball.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today these…
…balls and I are getting together to teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some balls before.
When playing sports, it’s very important to keep your eye on the ball, because if you don’t…
…something bad can happen.
In English, when we want someone to give their complete attention to something, we say ‘keep your eye on the ball’.
Keep your eye on the ball.
Ah, table tennis! I love table tennis.
Basketball?! That’s a whole new ball game.
In English, if there is a situation we know little about or is totally different, we can say ‘It’s a whole new ball game.
It’s a whole new ball game.
Like that time I thought I was going out for a quiet hike and ended up climbing Mount Everest. That was a whole new ball game.
As you already know, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
That’s right! I’m on the ball.
In English, if someone is very quick to understand something, we say they’re on the ball.
On the ball.
Argh!! Oh dear…oh dear! Argh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: The History of English
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L1: TwoMinute English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: