In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
sport of boxing.
1. Below the belt.
2. Take it on the chin.
3. Throw in the towel.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today…excuse me…I’m getting together with the sport of boxing to teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of boxing before!… Ahh!…
Ah, my boss. He’s cut my pay, but I don’t care because I’m earning some extra money boxing…ArGH!!
My boss laughed when I told him..ARGH!…
He said even a fly could beat me up!
That was below the belt!
In English….if someone says something very hurtful or unfair, we say ‘That was below the belt’.
Below the belt.
Actually, maybe my boss was right about this. I’m not very good at it.
I guess I’ll just have to take his comments on the chin….ARGH!
In English, if we have to accept an unpleasant situation without complaining we say you ‘take it on the chin’.
Take it on the chin.
I’m taking it on the chin. …But I don’t think I can take much more of this.
I think I have to admit defeat.
That’s right. It’s time to throw in the towel.
In English…, when you give up…or are about to admit defeat, we can say you ‘throw in the towel’.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: