In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
sport of boxing.
1. Below the belt.
2. Take it on the chin.
3. Throw in the towel.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today…excuse me…I’m getting together with the sport of boxing to teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of boxing before!… Ahh!…
Ah, my boss. He’s cut my pay, but I don’t care because I’m earning some extra money boxing…ArGH!!
My boss laughed when I told him..ARGH!…
He said even a fly could beat me up!
That was below the belt!
In English….if someone says something very hurtful or unfair, we say ‘That was below the belt’.
Below the belt.
Actually, maybe my boss was right about this. I’m not very good at it.
I guess I’ll just have to take his comments on the chin….ARGH!
In English, if we have to accept an unpleasant situation without complaining we say you ‘take it on the chin’.
Take it on the chin.
I’m taking it on the chin. …But I don’t think I can take much more of this.
I think I have to admit defeat.
That’s right. It’s time to throw in the towel.
In English…, when you give up…or are about to admit defeat, we can say you ‘throw in the towel’.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: