In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with
1. The kick off.
2. Moving the goalposts.
3. A political football.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent…
And today, the sport of football and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of football before!
That’s right. It’s time for kick off in today’s match… lesson.
In English, if we’re speaking informally, we can call the start of any event, not just a sports match, the kick off.
The kick off. The start of an event.
Ah, my boss. He’s not very happy with me.
He says I was late for a meeting yesterday. He told me kick off was at 12 o’clock.
But when I arrived, he said I was an hour late.
That’s right. He’s always moving the goalposts.
In English, if someone changes the rules while we are trying to do something to make it harder, we say they’re moving the goalposts…Argh!
Moving the goalposts.
Like that time I told my students to prepare for a vocabulary test and then gave them a grammar exam! Ha ha ha! I really moved the goalposts. They hated me so much.
Parliament. This is where politicians… argue.
Ah, they’re arguing about…my lessons.
One of the political parties wants to keep them going, while the other party wants to BAN them!
That’s right. It’s a political football.
In English, when politicians from different parties argue about something and try to get an advantage for themselves, we can say it’s a political football.
A political football.
Right, I’m off to win the cup!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: