In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with
1. Get your skates on.
2. Skating on thin ice.
3. Skating over something.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today I’m getting together with the sport of ice skating.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of ice skating before!
I’m going to the latest Mr Bean movie.
Oh no, I’m going to be late!
What’s that you say? I’d better get my skates on?
In English, if we want someone to hurry up, we can say ‘get your skates on.’
Get your skates on.
Get your skates on. Good idea…
Oh, wow, argh, no, ahh!!!
Oh, doesn’t look very safe, does it? Looks like I’ll be skating on thin ice.
In English, if someone is doing something risky or dangerous, we can say they’re skating on thin ice.
Skating on thin ice.
Like that time I took my boss’s wife out for dinner.
I really was skating on thin ice.
Yes, for some reason he wasn’t very happy that I took his wife out for a… romantic dinner.
But he never spoke to me directly about it. He didn’t really deal with the issue at all. He just skated over it.
In English, if someone fails to deal with an issue, we say they are skating over it.
Skating over something.
Argh!!! Oh dear. This is not very good at all. Argh!!!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: