In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with
1. Get your skates on.
2. Skating on thin ice.
3. Skating over something.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today I’m getting together with the sport of ice skating.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of ice skating before!
I’m going to the latest Mr Bean movie.
Oh no, I’m going to be late!
What’s that you say? I’d better get my skates on?
In English, if we want someone to hurry up, we can say ‘get your skates on.’
Get your skates on.
Get your skates on. Good idea…
Oh, wow, argh, no, ahh!!!
Oh, doesn’t look very safe, does it? Looks like I’ll be skating on thin ice.
In English, if someone is doing something risky or dangerous, we can say they’re skating on thin ice.
Skating on thin ice.
Like that time I took my boss’s wife out for dinner.
I really was skating on thin ice.
Yes, for some reason he wasn’t very happy that I took his wife out for a… romantic dinner.
But he never spoke to me directly about it. He didn’t really deal with the issue at all. He just skated over it.
In English, if someone fails to deal with an issue, we say they are skating over it.
Skating over something.
Argh!!! Oh dear. This is not very good at all. Argh!!!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: