In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with
1. Get your skates on.
2. Skating on thin ice.
3. Skating over something.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today I’m getting together with the sport of ice skating.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of ice skating before!
I’m going to the latest Mr Bean movie.
Oh no, I’m going to be late!
What’s that you say? I’d better get my skates on?
In English, if we want someone to hurry up, we can say ‘get your skates on.’
Get your skates on.
Get your skates on. Good idea…
Oh, wow, argh, no, ahh!!!
Oh, doesn’t look very safe, does it? Looks like I’ll be skating on thin ice.
In English, if someone is doing something risky or dangerous, we can say they’re skating on thin ice.
Skating on thin ice.
Like that time I took my boss’s wife out for dinner.
I really was skating on thin ice.
Yes, for some reason he wasn’t very happy that I took his wife out for a… romantic dinner.
But he never spoke to me directly about it. He didn’t really deal with the issue at all. He just skated over it.
In English, if someone fails to deal with an issue, we say they are skating over it.
Skating over something.
Argh!!! Oh dear. This is not very good at all. Argh!!!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: