In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with
1. Get your skates on.
2. Skating on thin ice.
3. Skating over something.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And today I’m getting together with the sport of ice skating.
I bet you’ve never been taught by the sport of ice skating before!
I’m going to the latest Mr Bean movie.
Oh no, I’m going to be late!
What’s that you say? I’d better get my skates on?
In English, if we want someone to hurry up, we can say ‘get your skates on.’
Get your skates on.
Get your skates on. Good idea…
Oh, wow, argh, no, ahh!!!
Oh, doesn’t look very safe, does it? Looks like I’ll be skating on thin ice.
In English, if someone is doing something risky or dangerous, we can say they’re skating on thin ice.
Skating on thin ice.
Like that time I took my boss’s wife out for dinner.
I really was skating on thin ice.
Yes, for some reason he wasn’t very happy that I took his wife out for a… romantic dinner.
But he never spoke to me directly about it. He didn’t really deal with the issue at all. He just skated over it.
In English, if someone fails to deal with an issue, we say they are skating over it.
Skating over something.
Argh!!! Oh dear. This is not very good at all. Argh!!!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Colour idioms – White
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: