In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with boats:
1. I’ve missed the boat
2. It’s plain sailing
3. We’re in the same boat
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent sailor, er, man.
And today these boats and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some boats before. Ha Har.
Aah, my hero, Mr Bean. He’s performing live tonight but I’ve left it too late to get tickets and now they’re sold out! Oh
Oi! Wait for me… That’s right… I’ve missed the boat.
In English, if we miss an opportunity to get involved in something because we waited too long, we say ‘I missed the boat’.
I missed the boat.
Oh well maybe I can catch this next one.
Ah, The Titanic. She’s a nice, safe looking boat.
Aah, yes, from now on it’ll be plain sailing.
In English, if something is very easy and there are no problems, we can say ‘It’s plain sailing’
It’s plain sailing.
Oh dear! That doesn’t look very good.
Oh no, this is terrible!
Oh well, at least I’m not alone. Yes, we’re in the same boat.
In English, if we are in the same bad situation as other people, we say ‘we’re in the same boat’.
We’re in the same boat.
Well, isn’t that how it happened?
Oh no, here we go!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: