In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with boats:
1. I’ve missed the boat
2. It’s plain sailing
3. We’re in the same boat
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent sailor, er, man.
And today these boats and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some boats before. Ha Har.
Aah, my hero, Mr Bean. He’s performing live tonight but I’ve left it too late to get tickets and now they’re sold out! Oh
Oi! Wait for me… That’s right… I’ve missed the boat.
In English, if we miss an opportunity to get involved in something because we waited too long, we say ‘I missed the boat’.
I missed the boat.
Oh well maybe I can catch this next one.
Ah, The Titanic. She’s a nice, safe looking boat.
Aah, yes, from now on it’ll be plain sailing.
In English, if something is very easy and there are no problems, we can say ‘It’s plain sailing’
It’s plain sailing.
Oh dear! That doesn’t look very good.
Oh no, this is terrible!
Oh well, at least I’m not alone. Yes, we’re in the same boat.
In English, if we are in the same bad situation as other people, we say ‘we’re in the same boat’.
We’re in the same boat.
Well, isn’t that how it happened?
Oh no, here we go!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: My Australia
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: