In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with boats:
1. I’ve missed the boat
2. It’s plain sailing
3. We’re in the same boat
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent sailor, er, man.
And today these boats and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some boats before. Ha Har.
Aah, my hero, Mr Bean. He’s performing live tonight but I’ve left it too late to get tickets and now they’re sold out! Oh
Oi! Wait for me… That’s right… I’ve missed the boat.
In English, if we miss an opportunity to get involved in something because we waited too long, we say ‘I missed the boat’.
I missed the boat.
Oh well maybe I can catch this next one.
Ah, The Titanic. She’s a nice, safe looking boat.
Aah, yes, from now on it’ll be plain sailing.
In English, if something is very easy and there are no problems, we can say ‘It’s plain sailing’
It’s plain sailing.
Oh dear! That doesn’t look very good.
Oh no, this is terrible!
Oh well, at least I’m not alone. Yes, we’re in the same boat.
In English, if we are in the same bad situation as other people, we say ‘we’re in the same boat’.
We’re in the same boat.
Well, isn’t that how it happened?
Oh no, here we go!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: