In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with boats:
1. I’ve missed the boat
2. It’s plain sailing
3. We’re in the same boat
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent sailor, er, man.
And today these boats and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some boats before. Ha Har.
Aah, my hero, Mr Bean. He’s performing live tonight but I’ve left it too late to get tickets and now they’re sold out! Oh
Oi! Wait for me… That’s right… I’ve missed the boat.
In English, if we miss an opportunity to get involved in something because we waited too long, we say ‘I missed the boat’.
I missed the boat.
Oh well maybe I can catch this next one.
Ah, The Titanic. She’s a nice, safe looking boat.
Aah, yes, from now on it’ll be plain sailing.
In English, if something is very easy and there are no problems, we can say ‘It’s plain sailing’
It’s plain sailing.
Oh dear! That doesn’t look very good.
Oh no, this is terrible!
Oh well, at least I’m not alone. Yes, we’re in the same boat.
In English, if we are in the same bad situation as other people, we say ‘we’re in the same boat’.
We’re in the same boat.
Well, isn’t that how it happened?
Oh no, here we go!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: