In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with boats:
1. I’ve missed the boat
2. It’s plain sailing
3. We’re in the same boat
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent sailor, er, man.
And today these boats and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some boats before. Ha Har.
Aah, my hero, Mr Bean. He’s performing live tonight but I’ve left it too late to get tickets and now they’re sold out! Oh
Oi! Wait for me… That’s right… I’ve missed the boat.
In English, if we miss an opportunity to get involved in something because we waited too long, we say ‘I missed the boat’.
I missed the boat.
Oh well maybe I can catch this next one.
Ah, The Titanic. She’s a nice, safe looking boat.
Aah, yes, from now on it’ll be plain sailing.
In English, if something is very easy and there are no problems, we can say ‘It’s plain sailing’
It’s plain sailing.
Oh dear! That doesn’t look very good.
Oh no, this is terrible!
Oh well, at least I’m not alone. Yes, we’re in the same boat.
In English, if we are in the same bad situation as other people, we say ‘we’re in the same boat’.
We’re in the same boat.
Well, isn’t that how it happened?
Oh no, here we go!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: My Australia
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: