In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with boats:
1. I’ve missed the boat
2. It’s plain sailing
3. We’re in the same boat
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent sailor, er, man.
And today these boats and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some boats before. Ha Har.
Aah, my hero, Mr Bean. He’s performing live tonight but I’ve left it too late to get tickets and now they’re sold out! Oh
Oi! Wait for me… That’s right… I’ve missed the boat.
In English, if we miss an opportunity to get involved in something because we waited too long, we say ‘I missed the boat’.
I missed the boat.
Oh well maybe I can catch this next one.
Ah, The Titanic. She’s a nice, safe looking boat.
Aah, yes, from now on it’ll be plain sailing.
In English, if something is very easy and there are no problems, we can say ‘It’s plain sailing’
It’s plain sailing.
Oh dear! That doesn’t look very good.
Oh no, this is terrible!
Oh well, at least I’m not alone. Yes, we’re in the same boat.
In English, if we are in the same bad situation as other people, we say ‘we’re in the same boat’.
We’re in the same boat.
Well, isn’t that how it happened?
Oh no, here we go!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: The History of English
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: