In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with boats:
1. I’ve missed the boat
2. It’s plain sailing
3. We’re in the same boat
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent sailor, er, man.
And today these boats and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some boats before. Ha Har.
Aah, my hero, Mr Bean. He’s performing live tonight but I’ve left it too late to get tickets and now they’re sold out! Oh
Oi! Wait for me… That’s right… I’ve missed the boat.
In English, if we miss an opportunity to get involved in something because we waited too long, we say ‘I missed the boat’.
I missed the boat.
Oh well maybe I can catch this next one.
Ah, The Titanic. She’s a nice, safe looking boat.
Aah, yes, from now on it’ll be plain sailing.
In English, if something is very easy and there are no problems, we can say ‘It’s plain sailing’
It’s plain sailing.
Oh dear! That doesn’t look very good.
Oh no, this is terrible!
Oh well, at least I’m not alone. Yes, we’re in the same boat.
In English, if we are in the same bad situation as other people, we say ‘we’re in the same boat’.
We’re in the same boat.
Well, isn’t that how it happened?
Oh no, here we go!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: My Australia
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: