In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with roads:
1. Let’s hit the road.
3. A long way down the road.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent backpacker… man. And today, this road and I are going to teach you a thing or two about English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a road before.
Would you like to come on holiday with me? I’m going to my favourite country… Belgium.
Well, come on then. It’s time to hit the road. Argh!
In English, when it’s time to leave one place to go to another, we say ‘let’s hit the road’.
Let’s hit the road.
Just don’t hit it too hard…
Ah, my MP3 player. I love to listen to music when I’m travelling.
I used to love metal. But now, I think, you know, I’m getting a little old for it.
Yes, these days I prefer something a little more middle-of-the road.
In English, if we want to describe a type of music, or person or even an organisation that is not extreme we can say they’re ‘middle-of-the-road’.
Middle of the road.
I hope we’re nearly there.
I’m not sure if we’re ever going to get there.
No, Belgium still seems to be a long way down the road.
In English, if we want to talk about something that’s far in the future, we say ‘it’s a long way down the road.’
A long way down the road.
Oh, finally a lift!
Hello. Can you take me to Belgium? Oh good, I am pleased.
Oh dear! Aargh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: