In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with roads:
1. Let’s hit the road.
3. A long way down the road.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent backpacker… man. And today, this road and I are going to teach you a thing or two about English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a road before.
Would you like to come on holiday with me? I’m going to my favourite country… Belgium.
Well, come on then. It’s time to hit the road. Argh!
In English, when it’s time to leave one place to go to another, we say ‘let’s hit the road’.
Let’s hit the road.
Just don’t hit it too hard…
Ah, my MP3 player. I love to listen to music when I’m travelling.
I used to love metal. But now, I think, you know, I’m getting a little old for it.
Yes, these days I prefer something a little more middle-of-the road.
In English, if we want to describe a type of music, or person or even an organisation that is not extreme we can say they’re ‘middle-of-the-road’.
Middle of the road.
I hope we’re nearly there.
I’m not sure if we’re ever going to get there.
No, Belgium still seems to be a long way down the road.
In English, if we want to talk about something that’s far in the future, we say ‘it’s a long way down the road.’
A long way down the road.
Oh, finally a lift!
Hello. Can you take me to Belgium? Oh good, I am pleased.
Oh dear! Aargh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: