In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with roads:
1. Let’s hit the road.
3. A long way down the road.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent backpacker… man. And today, this road and I are going to teach you a thing or two about English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a road before.
Would you like to come on holiday with me? I’m going to my favourite country… Belgium.
Well, come on then. It’s time to hit the road. Argh!
In English, when it’s time to leave one place to go to another, we say ‘let’s hit the road’.
Let’s hit the road.
Just don’t hit it too hard…
Ah, my MP3 player. I love to listen to music when I’m travelling.
I used to love metal. But now, I think, you know, I’m getting a little old for it.
Yes, these days I prefer something a little more middle-of-the road.
In English, if we want to describe a type of music, or person or even an organisation that is not extreme we can say they’re ‘middle-of-the-road’.
Middle of the road.
I hope we’re nearly there.
I’m not sure if we’re ever going to get there.
No, Belgium still seems to be a long way down the road.
In English, if we want to talk about something that’s far in the future, we say ‘it’s a long way down the road.’
A long way down the road.
Oh, finally a lift!
Hello. Can you take me to Belgium? Oh good, I am pleased.
Oh dear! Aargh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: Living English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: