In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with wheels:
1. Reinventing the wheel.
2. Asleep at the wheel.
3. The wheels have come off.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today, this wheel and I will be teaching you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a wheel before.
The wheel is a very… old invention. And it’s also a very, very, very good design.
So, there’s no point in reinventing the wheel.
In English, if someone wastes time trying to create something that has already been made, we say they’re ‘reinventing the wheel’.
Reinventing the wheel.
Like my colleague. He said was going to give some of these lessons but really, what’s the point? It would just be reinventing the wheel.
Would you like to come for a drive with me?
I do like to drive.
It’s been a bit of a long day actually.
I didn’t get to bed last night until… oh, thinking about it I didn’t get to bed last night at all… or the night before that.
Oh dear, I was asleep at the wheel.
In English, if someone is not doing their job, or not taking their responsibilities seriously, we say they’re asleep at the wheel.
Asleep at the wheel.
Right, now, who would like a lift home?
Well, how about a nice bike ride?
Ah, nothing better than a nice bike ride.
Getting a bit hungry though. I think I’ll stop at this shop and buy a snack.
Mmm, right, let’s go.
Oh no! The wheels have come off!
In English, if something goes wrong or fails we can say ‘the wheels have come off’.
The wheels have come off.
Right… where am I? I’ll ask at the shop.
Hello. Anybody? Is anybody there? I’ve had a bit of trouble you see, with my bike.
Hello. Can anybody help me? I’m cold and tired and very hungry…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: