In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with wheels:
1. Reinventing the wheel.
2. Asleep at the wheel.
3. The wheels have come off.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today, this wheel and I will be teaching you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a wheel before.
The wheel is a very… old invention. And it’s also a very, very, very good design.
So, there’s no point in reinventing the wheel.
In English, if someone wastes time trying to create something that has already been made, we say they’re ‘reinventing the wheel’.
Reinventing the wheel.
Like my colleague. He said was going to give some of these lessons but really, what’s the point? It would just be reinventing the wheel.
Would you like to come for a drive with me?
I do like to drive.
It’s been a bit of a long day actually.
I didn’t get to bed last night until… oh, thinking about it I didn’t get to bed last night at all… or the night before that.
Oh dear, I was asleep at the wheel.
In English, if someone is not doing their job, or not taking their responsibilities seriously, we say they’re asleep at the wheel.
Asleep at the wheel.
Right, now, who would like a lift home?
Well, how about a nice bike ride?
Ah, nothing better than a nice bike ride.
Getting a bit hungry though. I think I’ll stop at this shop and buy a snack.
Mmm, right, let’s go.
Oh no! The wheels have come off!
In English, if something goes wrong or fails we can say ‘the wheels have come off’.
The wheels have come off.
Right… where am I? I’ll ask at the shop.
Hello. Anybody? Is anybody there? I’ve had a bit of trouble you see, with my bike.
Hello. Can anybody help me? I’m cold and tired and very hungry…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: The History of English
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: