In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with wheels:
1. Reinventing the wheel.
2. Asleep at the wheel.
3. The wheels have come off.
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today, this wheel and I will be teaching you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a wheel before.
The wheel is a very… old invention. And it’s also a very, very, very good design.
So, there’s no point in reinventing the wheel.
In English, if someone wastes time trying to create something that has already been made, we say they’re ‘reinventing the wheel’.
Reinventing the wheel.
Like my colleague. He said was going to give some of these lessons but really, what’s the point? It would just be reinventing the wheel.
Would you like to come for a drive with me?
I do like to drive.
It’s been a bit of a long day actually.
I didn’t get to bed last night until… oh, thinking about it I didn’t get to bed last night at all… or the night before that.
Oh dear, I was asleep at the wheel.
In English, if someone is not doing their job, or not taking their responsibilities seriously, we say they’re asleep at the wheel.
Asleep at the wheel.
Right, now, who would like a lift home?
Well, how about a nice bike ride?
Ah, nothing better than a nice bike ride.
Getting a bit hungry though. I think I’ll stop at this shop and buy a snack.
Mmm, right, let’s go.
Oh no! The wheels have come off!
In English, if something goes wrong or fails we can say ‘the wheels have come off’.
The wheels have come off.
Right… where am I? I’ll ask at the shop.
Hello. Anybody? Is anybody there? I’ve had a bit of trouble you see, with my bike.
Hello. Can anybody help me? I’m cold and tired and very hungry…
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Animal idioms – Pig
- BBC Colour idioms – Gold
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: Daily Dose of English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: