In this The English We Speak podcast: Finn and Feifei are visiting China. Finn is impressed by the skyscrapers in Shanghai. He describes them as ‘ginormous’. But what does that mean?
(Sounds of a busy Chinese city)
Finn: Hi, I’m Finn, and today in The English We Speak we’re in Feifei’s home country – China.
Feifei: Welcome, welcome… what do you think, Finn?
Finn: Well, Feifei, there are so many… skyscrapers.
Feifei: Lots of tall buildings. Impressive, aren’t they?
Finn: Absolutely. Look at that one. It’s gigantic!
Feifei: Oh the Jin Mao Tower, yes it’s pretty gigantic.
Finn: And this one is really… enormous!
Feifei: Yes, it is. The Oriental Pearl Tower is enormous.
Finn: And this one is absolutely… ginormous!
Feifei: Gi… what? Finn, you just made that word up.
Finn: No, seriously, ginormous is a word! It’s very informal, and means, well gigantic and enormous. Kind of a combination of both.
Feifei: Gigantic, enormous – ginormous. And you’re right – the World Financial Centre is ginormous!
Finn: Can we go to the top of the tower?
Feifei: Sure. While we take the lift up, listen to these examples.
- Look at that old mobile phone from the 80s – it’s ginormous!
- Those carrots are ginormous!
(Lift announcement: top floor)
Feifei: Here we are. Wow, what a view!
Finn: It’s incredible, isn’t it? Do you know how high up we are?
Feifei: Hmmm… I don’t know. Let me guesstimate.
Feifei: Oh, you don’t know that word – it’s a combination of ‘guess’ and ‘estimate’.
Finn: Aha – I see! So how tall do you think this ginormous tower is?
Feifei: About 500 metres?
Finn: Pretty tall! We’re high above all the ‘smog’.
Feifei: You mean a combination of smoke and…?
Finn: Fog, yes. Actually Feifei, I’m really scared of heights. Shall we go back down?
Feifei: Oh, you really are a ginormous coward Finn!
Finn: Hey, come on, Feifei! Right, let’s remind everyone to log on to bbclearningenglish.com for more phrases! Bye.
(Lift announcement: lift going down)
The English We Speak – Ginormous Transcript Video
The English We Speak
- The English We Speak – Treading on eggshells
- The English We Speak – To make a monkey out of me
- The English We Speak – Take a rain check
- The English We Speak – Hot potato
- The English We Speak – Use your loaf
- The English We Speak – There’s method to my madness
- The English We Speak – Skeleton in the closet
- The English We Speak – In good nick
- The English We Speak – Get lost!
- The English We Speak – Cheap and cheerful
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: