BBC The English We Speak – Hot potato (with listen&read video): Helen has been nominated for an important role on the Parents Association, but she’s having nightmares about it. Neil comes up with a plan and tells her to drop it before it becomes ‘a hot potato’.
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I’m Neil.
Hello everyone. I’m Helen.
Oh what’s the matter, Helen? You look really tired.
Is it that bad?
You’ve got very dark shadows under your eyes.
Oh dear. Well, I’ve been pushed into a role and I don’t really want it.
What is it?
To be the treasurer for the school’s parents association and you know I am hopeless with numbers.
Sounds like it could turn into a hot potato for you.
Hot potato? Do you mean a jacket potato? No I am not hungry, I am nervous.
I’m not talking about food. I am talking about this job. I can see it’s going to be a problem for you.
I’m thinking the same.
You need to think about it very carefully before it becomes a hot potato. When something becomes a ‘hot potato’, it becomes a problem and difficult to handle.
I see. You can’t hold a hot potato in your hand. It would burn you.
Exactly, you’ve got it. A hot potato is a phrase we use to refer to difficult or tricky situations, or even people. Here are a few examples:
The shortage of housing supply is fast becoming a hot potato for the council.
The pay rise issue is a hot potato for management; I don’t know how they are going to sort this one out between the staff, the union and the shareholders.
Helen, my word of advice is…
Please, I’m listening.
Just tell the school you can’t do it. Drop it before it becomes a real hot potato for you.
You are right. That’s what I will do. Thanks
The English We Speak – Hot potato: listen&read video
…or maybe you will like this version:
- The English We Speak – Treading on eggshells
- The English We Speak – To make a monkey out of me
- The English We Speak – Take a rain check
- The English We Speak – Hot potato
- The English We Speak – Use your loaf
- The English We Speak – There’s method to my madness
- The English We Speak – Skeleton in the closet
- The English We Speak – In good nick
- The English We Speak – Get lost!
- The English We Speak – Cheap and cheerful
- The English We Speak – Haven’t slept a wink
- The English We Speak – A bitter pill to swallow
- The English We Speak – Bubbly
- The English We Speak – Potty
- The English We Speak – Good Egg
- The English We Speak – I’m game
- The English We Speak – Phone slang
- The English We Speak – That’ll put hairs on your chest!
- The English We Speak – Crystal clear
- The English We Speak – Fancy someone
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: My Australia
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: