BBC Learning English: The English We Speak – Phishing (with ‘ph’) is one of those words that’s become popular as we use the internet more and more. It’s the name of a particular kind of fraud on the internet.
Rob and Feifei are in the office. He’s been busy deleting some emails. Feifei is curious to know what they are. Listen to the programme to find out.
Delete! Delete! Delete!
Rob? Why are you so annoyed? And what are you deleting.
Can’t you see, Feifei? I’m checking and deleting my emails and … all this phishing!
I thought you liked fishing, Rob. You always show us pictures of all the big fish you’ve caught.
No. Fishing with an ‘F’ is good but phishing with a ‘ph’ is not!
So you’re deleting all the ‘ph’s? All the spelling mistakes?
It’s not a spelling mistake. Phishing – with ‘ph’ – is one of those words that’s become popular as we use the internet more and more. It’s the name of a particular kind of fraud on the internet.
Yes. It’s what we say when someone sends you an email pretending to be a reputable company or person hoping you’ll respond and give them your personal information. They want things like your bank account number, password, that kind of thing.
Oh! So the email is a bait!
Yes, exactly. ‘Phishing’ with ‘ph’ is today’s expression in The English We Speak. Let’s hear some examples of how it’s used.
Our bank never sends emails to clients asking them to reply to a message confirming their password. I’m afraid you’ve been a victim of phishing, sir.
I’ve just received an email informing me that I won the lottery. They want my bank details to deposit the prize. But I’ve never entered the lottery. This must be phishing!
So now you know what kind of phishing I was talking about!
Yes. They wanted your bank details, but we’re not taking their bait, are we?
No, we’re not. Definitely not!
Hmmm, I think I have some of these phishing emails in my inbox too.
So let’s get rid of them all! Come on!
Delete! Delete! Delete! Bye!
The English We Speak – Phishing Transcript Video
The English We Speak
- The English We Speak – Treading on eggshells
- The English We Speak – To make a monkey out of me
- The English We Speak – Take a rain check
- The English We Speak – Hot potato
- The English We Speak – Use your loaf
- The English We Speak – There’s method to my madness
- The English We Speak – Skeleton in the closet
- The English We Speak – In good nick
- The English We Speak – Get lost!
- The English We Speak – Cheap and cheerful
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: