BBC Learning English: The English We Speak – Take a rain check on something: I won’t do it immediately but I would like to do it at another time.
What’s the connection between bread and common sense? Rob and Li discuss an expression you might use when someone does something silly.
Rob: This is The English We Speak with me, Rob…
Li: …and me, Li. Hello. (Sighs) I’m a bit bored today Rob, what shall we do?
Rob: Hmm, how about going to the library?
Rob: We could go to the cinema?
Li: Done that. I want to do something exciting. Hey, let’s go to the fair!
Rob: You mean the funfair with lots of people and all those big machines to ride on? They make me feel a bit sick. Could I take a rain check on that?
Li:(Opens window) …it’s OK Rob, it’s not raining, we can still go.
Rob: No Li – it’s nothing to do with checking the rain – I mean, I don’t want to accept your invitation of going to the fair.
Li: Oh, you’re not talking about the weather. So Rob, you never want to go to the fair with me, then?
Rob: Well, I might later. If I take a rain check on something, I won’t do it immediately but I would like to do it at another time.
Li: Good. OK, here are some examples. We’ll see if Rob is ready to go the fair after listening to these:
- If you don’t mind, I’ll take a rain check on the drinks tonight. Can we make next week?
- Man: I’m going to the cinema tonight, do you fancy joining me?
- Woman: Sorry, I’ll have to take a rain check, I already have plans.
- We had to take a rain check on the trip to the beach because we’d already planned to go shopping, but we’ll definitely go tomorrow.
Li: So Rob, if you’re taking a rain check now, when would you like to go?
Rob: I think it’s going to have to be tomorrow. Look, it really has started to rain now.
Li: Oh no.
Rob: Well, there’s still the library… the cinema…
Rob: OK, come on then, get your raincoat, we’ll go to the fair.
Li: Oh great! You won’t regret it Rob!
(Later at the fair)
Li: You see, I said you wouldn’t regret it. Isn’t this rollercoaster great?
Rob: Oh… why didn’t I take a rain check on this? Join us again soon for another The English We Speak.
The English We Speak – Take a rain check Transcript Video
The English We Speak
- The English We Speak – Treading on eggshells
- The English We Speak – To make a monkey out of me
- The English We Speak – Take a rain check
- The English We Speak – Hot potato
- The English We Speak – Use your loaf
- The English We Speak – There’s method to my madness
- The English We Speak – Skeleton in the closet
- The English We Speak – In good nick
- The English We Speak – Get lost!
- The English We Speak – Cheap and cheerful
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: