BBC Learning English: The English We Speak – Wrong ‘un: means a bad person, someone you can’t trust. It’s a slang way of saying ‘a wrong one’. We use it with ‘a’ – a wrong ‘un. Like that. A wrong ‘un.
Li and Finn are looking on an online dating website. Li thinks she’s found Mr Right. But Finn thinks he might be a wrong ‘un. Learn more about this phrase in the programme.
(Sounds of tapping on a laptop)
Finn: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I’m Finn.
Li: And I’m Li. Oh, he looks nice.
Finn: Yes. We’re on Li’s computer, on an online dating site. She’s looking for a date – a hot guy.
Li: Shhh… don’t tell everyone. Well, actually, I don’t really just want a date – I’m hoping to meet Mr Right.
Finn: Ooh, Mr Right – the person who is perfect for you – the one you want to spend the rest of your life with!
Li: Yes… ooh. Finn, he looks lovely. He’s got two MAs, a PhD, an enormous salary, a huge house in the country and, and… cute hair!
Finn: Li, actually, sorry to say this, but I think he looks like a wrong ‘un!
Li: A what?
Finn: A wrong ‘un. That means a bad person, someone you can’t trust. It’s a slang way of saying ‘a wrong one’. We use it with ‘a’ – a wrong ‘un. Like that. A wrong ‘un.
Li: Ahh, I thought he could be Mr Right, and you think he’s a wrong ‘un?
Finn: Yes, someone you can’t trust. Sorry, I just think he sounds too good to be true – I think he’s making it up. Maybe he’s lying. He’s a wrong ‘un. Listen to these examples.
- He’s a real wrong ‘un. He always gets into fights.
- You know, although she says nice things, that Sue’s a wrong ‘un. She owes so many people money!
Li: You know what, Finn? I’ve had enough of looking online for a man.
Finn: Yes, well, I know, OK. But I’m sure you’ll find someone special.
Li: How about you, Finn? Have you found Miss Right?
Finn: Oh, well Li, you know, that’s kind of personal. No need to talk about that in the programme.
Li: Oh Finn, that’s not fair!
Finn: No, no, not just now.
Li: Come on just, oh please!
Finn: No, no. That’s the end of the programme. Please visit bbclearningenglish.com for more. Bye!
The English We Speak – Wrong ‘un Transcript Video
The English We Speak
- The English We Speak – Treading on eggshells
- The English We Speak – To make a monkey out of me
- The English We Speak – Take a rain check
- The English We Speak – Hot potato
- The English We Speak – Use your loaf
- The English We Speak – There’s method to my madness
- The English We Speak – Skeleton in the closet
- The English We Speak – In good nick
- The English We Speak – Get lost!
- The English We Speak – Cheap and cheerful
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: