In this special BBC Idioms New Year video, The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected to deceit:
1. Pulling the wool over someone’s eyes.
2. Taking you for a ride.
3. I wasn’t born yesterday.
No, I won’t do it. I can’t believe you want me to lie to my students. It’s October and you want me to pretend it’s New Year’s Eve! Ridiculous! You’ll what? Fire me?!
Hello. I’m a very interesting and intelligent and excited man.
And that’s because it’s my favourite day of the year – New Year’s Eve.
And to celebrate, I’ve come down to the River Thames in London to see the famous annual fireworks!
Yes, it’s almost midnight and time to celebrate.
What do you mean I’m pulling the wool over your eyes?!
In English, if someone is trying to prevent you from discovering the truth about something, you can say they’re ‘pulling the wool over your eyes’.
Pulling the wool over someone’s eyes.
I’m so pleased I’ve got my hat on. It’s so cold and snowy on New Year’s Eve.
I’d better put some warmer clothes on.
You think I’m taking you for a ride.
In English, if someone is trying to make you believe something that isn’t true, you can say they’re ‘taking you for a ride’.
Taking you for a ride.
I’m so excited. It’s getting really busy down here.
Voice: No it isn’t.
There are so many people around getting ready to celebrate the New Year and watch the fireworks.
Voice: No there aren’t.
It’s dark now and cold.
It’s almost midnight and 2012.
Voice: It’s October 2011. I wasn’t born yesterday!
In English, if someone is telling you a very obvious lie, you can say ‘I wasn’t born yesterday’.
I wasn’t born yesterday.
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1! Happy New Year! Hurrah! Look at the fireworks! Hurrah! (Sings a song…) Oh, ah, beautiful fireworks!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: