The Race E01: The challenge is set: This new drama story is about an unsuccessful author called Phil. Unlike his friends, he hasn’t done much with his life. But all of that is about to change as they challenge him to the adventure of a lifetime.
Phil: “Hello – I’m Phil. I’m about to face a challenge that could give me a great adventure – and a lot of money. What could it be? Find out now in episode one of The Race.”
gap year – a year that you spend travelling, often with friends, usually after finishing school and before starting university. Some gap year travellers work while they are travelling, for example in bars and restaurants
adventure – an unusual, difficult and sometimes dangerous journey
globetrotting – travelling to lots of different countries
backpacking – travelling to and visiting lots of different countries, carrying everything that you need for your journey in a bag that you carry on your back
circumnavigate – to sail all the way around something, such as an island, or the world
The Race E01: The challenge is set
The Race – Episode 1: Phil’s audio diary
The Race E01: The challenge is set Transcript Video
The Race – Episode 1: Video diary
Phil: One, two. One, two. Is this working? Good.
Hi. I’m Phil. I’m about to sail around the world for the first time in my life. Crazy isn’t it?
Now, what’s even crazier I have been set the challenge to do it in 80 days. Eight, zero! I’ve been thinking about some of things I need to take, let me show you.
I have a map. And a compass – north, east, west and south – that’s where we’re going, south. I also have a satnav. And some food too: non-perishable of course. And some drinking water – very useful! There’s plenty of water in the sea but you can’t drink it really. Nice and wet.
Speaking of wet, I also have a waterproof jacket. I don’t want to get too wet, do I? And, last but not least I have a captain’s hat. How do I look?
Now, what other things do you think I might need for such an epic adventure? OK, it’s time to set sail. See you later.
BBC Drama – The Race Episodes
- The Race E10: Great prize (transcript video)
- The Race E09: Plain sailing (transcript video)
- The Race E08: Aye aye Captain Phil! (transcript video)
- The Race E07: Shipwrecked (transcript video)
- The Race E06: Find our yacht! (transcript video)
- The Race E05: Land ahoy! (transcript video)
- The Race E04: All at sea (transcript video)
- The Race E03: Any Port in a Storm (transcript video)
- The Race E02: Start the Clock! (transcript video)
- The Race E01: The challenge is set (transcript video)
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: