The Race E02 – Start the Clock!: Phil, has been set a challenge to sail around the world in 80 days. It’s an impossible challenge especially as he’s never sailed a yacht before. But he said ‘yes’ – so here goes! Will it be plain sailing for Phil in his 80 day challenge?
seasick – feeling ill, vomiting or feeling you are going to vomit or be sick because of the movement of the ship or boat you are travelling in
stern – the back end of a ship or boat
galley – the kitchen in a ship, boat or plane
berths – beds in a ship, boat or train
plain sailing – an expression that means a job or task is going well, easily, without problems
The Race – Episode 1: Phil’s audio diary
The Race E02: Start the Clock!
The Race – Episode 2: Phil’s audio diary
The Race E02: Start the Clock! Transcript Video
The Race – Episode 2: Video diary
Pete: Hello I’m Pete – but Phil has given me the nickname ‘Passepartout’. I know a bit about sailing so I’m here to help Phil learn the ropes.
Here is my guide to the main parts of a yacht, a boat or a ship.
The bow is the front. The stern is the back.
The rudder is for steering.
The deck is the standing area.
The boom is the moving support for the sail. The mast is the stick thing for attaching the sail. The mainsail is the big sail.
The galley is the kitchen area down below.
The port side is the left side, and the starboard is the right side.
There you go.
BBC Drama – The Race Episodes
- The Race E10: Great prize (transcript video)
- The Race E09: Plain sailing (transcript video)
- The Race E08: Aye aye Captain Phil! (transcript video)
- The Race E07: Shipwrecked (transcript video)
- The Race E06: Find our yacht! (transcript video)
- The Race E05: Land ahoy! (transcript video)
- The Race E04: All at sea (transcript video)
- The Race E03: Any Port in a Storm (transcript video)
- The Race E02: Start the Clock! (transcript video)
- The Race E01: The challenge is set (transcript video)
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: My Australia
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: