The Race E03 – Any Port in a Storm: The challenge has begun and already Phil and his sidekick Passepartout have run into trouble. Their yacht is leaking – will they get to dry land to get it fixed before they sink?
menacing – scary, threatening
depression – (in weather) an area where the air pressure is low, bringing cold and wet weather
gale force – strong and damaging (wind)
waterproof – does not allow water in; is not damaged by water
shelter – to find or stay in place where a person or thing is protected from bad weather
The Race – Episode 2: Phil’s audio diary
The Race E03: Any Port in a Storm
The Race – Episode 3: Phil’s audio diary
The Race E03: Any Port in a Storm Transcript Video
The Race – Episode 3: Video diary
Phil: Here is my shipping forecast: it’s not looking good. We’re in the Atlantic and there’s deep depression heading our way.
In weather terms, a depression is an area of low pressure that causes wet and windy conditions.
When the wind gets strong and the sea gets rough, we describe the wind as being gale force – so very strong.
What else will this storm throw at us? Ah yes, rain – it’s going to hammer down – so it’ll be heavy and torrential.
Well, time to batten down the hatches – I mean, prepare for difficult times. Let’s hope we can weather the storm – I mean survive the difficult time. Right here goes.
BBC Drama – The Race Episodes
- The Race E10: Great prize (transcript video)
- The Race E09: Plain sailing (transcript video)
- The Race E08: Aye aye Captain Phil! (transcript video)
- The Race E07: Shipwrecked (transcript video)
- The Race E06: Find our yacht! (transcript video)
- The Race E05: Land ahoy! (transcript video)
- The Race E04: All at sea (transcript video)
- The Race E03: Any Port in a Storm (transcript video)
- The Race E02: Start the Clock! (transcript video)
- The Race E01: The challenge is set (transcript video)
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: