The Race E04 – All at sea: There’s a new member of the crew who’s good at sailing. Can she help get Phil’s trip back on course and steer them through stormy waters? Or will it be a case of ‘two’s company, three’s a crowd’?
go about – (a sailing term) turn and sail in the opposite direction
steer – control the direction of movement of a vehicle such as a boat, car or bicycle
navigate – find a route across an area of land or water, often using a map
satnav – short for ‘satellite navigation’: a piece of technology that uses satellites to find the best way to get to a place
on course – going in the right direction
The Race – Episode 3: Phil’s audio diary
The Race E04: All at sea
The Race – Episode 4: Phil’s audio diary
Dear Diary, what a scary few days.
We got Sophia off the island onto our yacht. We sailed around the Cape of Good Hope. The sea was very rough. Then our satnav broke and we didn’t know where we were going.
Passepartout tried to fix it but then fell over and knocked his head badly. We had to get him to a hospital but we didn’t know which way to sail.
We are now following the stars and heading east. I am making tea – and I am missing home.
The Race E04: All at sea Transcript Video
The Race – Episode 4: Video diary
Sophie: Hi, It’s me, Sophia. Phil’s downstairs making some tea so I thought I’d use his camera – I hope he doesn’t mind.
Anyway, it’s great to be part of the crew and I’m so grateful they rescued me from my cruel husband. But we’re in a bit of trouble. The yacht’s is broken and we have no idea where we’re heading. Passepartout is trying to fix it though. The weather is looking bad too.
Luckily I know a thing or two about sailing but Passepartout doesn’t agree. But there’s no need to panic, everything will be fine.
FX: (OUCH FROM PP)
Sophie: Oh what’s that? I need to find out what’s going on. Where do think we’re headed to now?
See you later.
BBC Drama – The Race Episodes
- The Race E10: Great prize (transcript video)
- The Race E09: Plain sailing (transcript video)
- The Race E08: Aye aye Captain Phil! (transcript video)
- The Race E07: Shipwrecked (transcript video)
- The Race E06: Find our yacht! (transcript video)
- The Race E05: Land ahoy! (transcript video)
- The Race E04: All at sea (transcript video)
- The Race E03: Any Port in a Storm (transcript video)
- The Race E02: Start the Clock! (transcript video)
- The Race E01: The challenge is set (transcript video)
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: