The Race E06 – Find our yacht: Phil and his friends have reached Reunion Island but pirates have stolen their yacht. Now the crew have to find it. But where do they start looking? And if they can’t find it does it mean the end of the round-the-world adventure?
pinched – stolen
lawless – not obeying laws, sometimes by using violence
bounty – (here) large amount of stolen money and valuable things
sabotage – doing something, for example, causing damage, to stop something else being successful
joyriders – people who steal a vehicle (or boat) and drive it fast and dangerously just for pleasure
The Race – Episode 5: Phil’s audio diary
We made it to Reunion Island and Passepartout got to the hospital to get the cut on his head fixed. I got the satnav fixed and went shopping. A very kind man gave me a bag of local coffee beans to take home. Everything was going well until we got back to the port and found our yacht had been stolen. We are now stuck in Reunion. What can we do?
The Race E06: Find our yacht!
The Race – Episode 6: Phil’s audio diary
Dear Diary, we thought our trip had come to an early end. Somebody stole our yacht – we thought they were pirates.
A man I met in Reunion Island took us out to sea to find our yacht and luckily, we found it. It wasn’t pirates who took it, just some silly young men who wanted a bit of fun. We started on our journey again and took it in turns to sail. Sophia went first – Passepartout and I fell asleep but we woke up when heard a loud crunching sound. We’re going to find what’s going on.
The Race E06: Find our yacht! Transcript Video
The Race – Episode 6: Video diary
Phil: Hello. Pirates eh? They’re nothing but trouble. Luckily the ones who stole – or pinched – our yacht were harmless – just joyriders – but still badly behaved – another word for them is scallywags.
But I still need to keep a look out for real pirates. They aren’t the swashbuckling type you see in films – brave and exciting – they are lawless – they’ll do anything to sabotage – or destroy – our yacht.
Oh ‘shiver me timbers’, I can see some over there – oh silly me, it’s just Passepartout and Sophia – I had them the wrong way round!
Well, ‘at ease’ everyone. Full steam ahead!
BBC Drama – The Race Episodes
- The Race E10: Great prize (transcript video)
- The Race E09: Plain sailing (transcript video)
- The Race E08: Aye aye Captain Phil! (transcript video)
- The Race E07: Shipwrecked (transcript video)
- The Race E06: Find our yacht! (transcript video)
- The Race E05: Land ahoy! (transcript video)
- The Race E04: All at sea (transcript video)
- The Race E03: Any Port in a Storm (transcript video)
- The Race E02: Start the Clock! (transcript video)
- The Race E01: The challenge is set (transcript video)
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: