The Race E08 – Aye aye Captain Phil!: Phil and Passepartout are reunited with Sophia and the adventure continues towards Papua New Guinea. But there are further troubles ahead involving a credit card and a lobster! You can hear a summary of what happens here.
slap-up meal – large and very good meal
tucking into – starting to eat food with great enthusiasm
serving up – bringing food to a table and/or putting food onto plates for people to eat
dessert – sweet food that people eat after a main meal
food poisoning – an illness affecting your stomach, caused by old or badly cooked food
The Race – Episode 7: Phil’s audio diary
Dear Diary, what a day we’ve had! We were sleeping like babies when suddenly we heard a loud, crunching noise. We were washed up on a beach – you could say we were shipwrecked – and Sophia had disappeared.
I helped Passepartout fix a hole in our yacht and we set sail again. A parrot came onto our yacht and we decided to keep it – we needed to find a name for it.
Luckily, we found Sophia. She fell off the yacht while she was sleeping. When we found her, she was sitting on an old shipping container in the middle of the ocean, waiting to be rescued. Now we’re all back together and heading for Papua New Guinea.
The Race E08: Aye aye Captain Phil!
The Race – Episode 8: Phil’s audio diary
We made it to Papua New Guinea. We had to buy some food and water for our journey but we didn’t have any money. We had to sell some of our things to pay for our supplies.
We set sail across the Pacific Ocean. And I cooked a special lobster dinner but it made Passepartout and Sophia very sick. I had to sail the yacht by myself. I was trying to find somewhere to land but there was a storm and I nearly hit the rocks. I really want to go home!
The Race E08: Aye aye Captain Phil! Transcript Video
The Race – Episode 8: Video diary
Phil: How did I end up in this situation? I’m sailing a yacht, by myself, in a storm. I’ve managed to poison the crew with my cooking – I think they ate a dodgy lobster.
Passpartout is downstairs as sick as a dog, and so is Sophia – they’re both very sick. I’m the only one fit enough to sail but I’m worried sick that we’re going to hit some rocks.
I’m trying to steer us towards an island over there somewhere – I need to find the harbour. Oh I’m getting sick and tired – or fed up – with this whole stupid trip. I hope we get home in 80 days otherwise I’ll be as sick as a parrot. (Parrot squawking sound) No not you – that means I’ll be very disappointed.
BBC Drama – The Race Episodes
- The Race E10: Great prize (transcript video)
- The Race E09: Plain sailing (transcript video)
- The Race E08: Aye aye Captain Phil! (transcript video)
- The Race E07: Shipwrecked (transcript video)
- The Race E06: Find our yacht! (transcript video)
- The Race E05: Land ahoy! (transcript video)
- The Race E04: All at sea (transcript video)
- The Race E03: Any Port in a Storm (transcript video)
- The Race E02: Start the Clock! (transcript video)
- The Race E01: The challenge is set (transcript video)
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: