The Race E10 – Great prize: Phil and his friends were sailing through the Caribbean sea when a huge wave hit the yacht. Have they survived? And if they have… will they get back to London in time to complete their round the world challenge? Time is running out.
courageous – being brave in a difficult or scary situation
brave – able to deal with a difficult situation without showing fear
determination – not allowing anything to stop you doing what you are trying to do
impressive – describes someone or something that is special, large or shows great skill
hero – someone who you love or admire because they have done something brave or impressive
The Race – Episode 9: Phil’s audio diary
Dear Diary, things are going well. We had a short break in Tahiti to clean up our yacht. Passepartout and Sophia are feeling much better.
They made me captain of the ship – they even gave me a captain’s hat – but I think it might be a joke! We also joked about what to spend the money on if we win the race. We went through the Panama Canal and sailed on to the Caribbean Sea – where we got caught in a huge hurricane.
I don’t know what’s happening to me – but I actually want to sail through the storm. I’m feeling brave – I only hope this feeling will last. Our 80-day challenge is almost over – but we still have a long way to go.
The Race E10: Great prize
The Race – Episode 10: Phil’s audio diary
Dear Diary, our last few days were very difficult. A big wave hit us, but we survived and sailed across the Atlantic Ocean. Then we sailed into some fog and crashed into some rocks.
The yacht, The Mermaid, sank – but we were rescued and we got back to London to meet our friends. We thought it was day 81 but Passepartout said we gained an extra day when we crossed the International Date Line. So we did it – we sailed around the world in 80 days!
Unfortunately, my prize was to keep the yacht and that had sunk – but it didn’t matter. I asked Sophia to marry me. She said yes! It’s good to be home – and life is good.
The Race E10: Great prize Transcript Video
The Race – Episode 10: Video diary
Phil: Hello. Look where I am. I’m in London, I’m in the pub. I’m home! We had a lot of fun, didn’t we? I just wanted to thank you for sticking with me through the trip.
I know we didn’t make it in 80 days, and yes, I sank the yacht, but hey, we brought home Sophia who I fell in love with. I’m going to go across over there and ask her to marry me. What do you think? Do you think she’ll say yes? I know, I need some courage. See you later.
BBC Drama – The Race Episodes
- The Race E10: Great prize (transcript video)
- The Race E09: Plain sailing (transcript video)
- The Race E08: Aye aye Captain Phil! (transcript video)
- The Race E07: Shipwrecked (transcript video)
- The Race E06: Find our yacht! (transcript video)
- The Race E05: Land ahoy! (transcript video)
- The Race E04: All at sea (transcript video)
- The Race E03: Any Port in a Storm (transcript video)
- The Race E02: Start the Clock! (transcript video)
- The Race E01: The challenge is set (transcript video)
More from the BBC
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: